Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help in choosing a pattern >
  • help in choosing a pattern

• help in choosing a pattern

Old 11-12-2010, 04:35 PM

I've been distracted for 2 days. I'm constantly thinking of a young lady who is not related, but her husband grew up with my son and has vacationed with us and is still very special to us.

She is in the hospital right now- in ICU, recovering from surgery. She has cancer- I'm not sure what type as info is sporadic. I called the hospital but she is not allowed visitors or flowers. From what I can gather- she had a hysterectomy (age 28) and the cancer is in the lymph nodes.

I want to make a quit for her for her chemo treatments. She's not a child but not too old. What pattern and colors would you suggest?

Thanks!
    Barb
    Old 11-12-2010, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

Maybe warm and soothing colors? Or is she more of a bold and bright gal?... maybe out of fleece and flannel?
    Old 11-12-2010, 04:49 PM

The really popular colors now are pinks, turquoises and browns. And, They make up so pretty.

Blessings to you and her.
    Old 11-12-2010, 05:11 PM

How about an angel quilt? Either a pieced angel or angel fabric of some kind. Definitely warm, maybe a fleece backing. Would she be receptive to that?
    Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Sorry to hear about your friend.
    I like the idea of using flannel, but you may not like working with flannel. I made a flannel quilt that is on my bed, and it keeps me very cozy and warm at night.
    Chinese coin quilt pattern is fast and always looks nice.
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 PM

I suggest don't stress on pattern/colors/fab. What ever you give her she will so thrilled! I've given comfort quilts to several people and gave up stressing on pattern/colors. What ever Caught my eye, was what I sewed up. I's done out of love!! She and her family will be touched.
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM
    mim

Originally Posted by Barbm
    I've been distracted for 2 days. I'm constantly thinking of a young lady who is not related, but her husband grew up with my son and has vacationed with us and is still very special to us.

She is in the hospital right now- in ICU, recovering from surgery. She has cancer- I'm not sure what type as info is sporadic. I called the hospital but she is not allowed visitors or flowers. From what I can gather- she had a hysterectomy (age 28) and the cancer is in the lymph nodes.

I want to make a quit for her for her chemo treatments. She's not a child but not too old. What pattern and colors would you suggest?

Thanks!
    Barb
    make blocks that represent places ot occasions in her life -- delectable mountains if she lived near mountains -- state blocls for where she came from -- anynames that you might think of -- look up on about.com for ideas. I did a memory quilt for a cousin using bible references (they were very religious) -- any blocks that would be personal to her
    Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM

Maybe turquoise (aqua) and purple. I don't know if that helps any, but my best wishes and thoughts go out to you and her and her family!
    Old 11-13-2010, 01:40 AM

Log cabin as it can be arranged in different ways, and the centre of the block will be her anchor to home and health. If you do 16 - 12 1/2 inch blocks, put a four inch border, you end up with a 54inch sq quilt and you can arrange your blocks to form a star. Line the back with flannel and you not only have a great chemo blanket, but, a great couch blanket for when she is at home recouperating.
    Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 AM

What about a Warm Wishes patterns. Find a focus fabric of flowers. Would be beautiful!