Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with Crayola fabric crayons >
  • Help with Crayola fabric crayons

• Help with Crayola fabric crayons

Old 11-24-2013, 06:58 PM

I've used cheapie sweatshirts with Crayola fabric crayons. I'm sure they are not 100% cotton. My kids wrote a letter to Grandma with magic marker on paper. We flipped the paper, taped it to a window and let them trace the reverse with the crayons. I ironed the crayon from the paper to the sweatshirt. This was when my daughter was in kindergarden. She turns 21 next month and I've see her Grandma wear the sweatshirt as recently as last winter. It still looks pretty good considering its age.
    Old 11-24-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    I bought a pack of Crayola fabric crayons to let the grandkids make something personal and special for their Mom and step-Dad. I bought fabric, 90% polyester and 10% cotton, will this work? I have looked up a few websites about crayon transfer, but would love some tips and ideas from those who have used them before. Not sure if it will be a wall hanging or pillow. Just depends on what the kids draw.

I am also thinking about using cotton duck fabric and making tote bags with the kid's drawings. Would markers be better and hold up to more frequent washing?
    After many attempts to work with kids and the crayons, I quite doing the crayons like a transfer. I let the kids color directly on the fabric I'm going to use. The clarity of the drawing is so much better.

I have made canvas bags with the crayons. Again, let the kids drawn directly on the fabric. Maybe fill in a bit if they aren't gettting good coverage.
    Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM

I believe the fine print suggests using a poly-cotton blend.
    Old 11-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Please note ---------------directly from the Crayola web site.

Product Description:
    Turn crayon drawings into colorful fabric art. Simply draw with these special formula crayons (on paper). Iron onto fabric for brilliant, permanent fabric designs. Works best on white fabric, synthetic blends.
    Use Crayola Fabric Crayons to make personalized T-shirts, fabric quilts, tablecloths, pillowcases, banners, kites, aprons, scarves, kitchen accessories and holiday decorations. Drawing, rubbings, stenciling and lettering techniques are easy to do.
    Each 8-count box contains: magenta, violet, burnt sienna, blue, orange, green, black and yellow.
    Please have an adult use the iron.