Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! Crease in Quilt >
  • Help! Crease in Quilt

• Help! Crease in Quilt

Old 07-09-2024, 12:33 PM

Default Help! Crease in Quilt

There are two creases in my quilt, received back from a show.

Is there anything I can do to get them out? I want to show this quilt again but I can't with these creases in it!

Any help, appreciated,

Watson

Attached Thumbnails rbhorsecrease1.jpg   rbhorsecrease2.jpg  
    Old 07-09-2024, 02:14 PM

I assume that was from folding it. I wonder if using a steamer would work it out
    Old 07-09-2024, 02:21 PM
    Gay

I agree. Pass your steam iron over, not touching the quilt. That should help.
    Old 07-09-2024, 02:28 PM
    mkc

I agree that steaming should work - it's used for clothing in retail stores and draperies when hung by decorators all the time. You'll want to have the quilt hanging, then gently steam by holding the steamer near, but not in contact. Gravity will help relax the crease.

Your home iron might not steam in the vertical orientation, but you can try it. I use a Velocity portable steam generator as both iron and steamer (saving up for a Laurastar).
    Old 07-09-2024, 03:18 PM

On A Quilting Life with Sherri and Chelsea on Mondays episode they talk about getting creases out of quilts and they suggest using steam , you should watch the video .
    Old 07-09-2024, 03:32 PM

It seems odd that creases should occur in such a short time. I wonder if there were lots of quilts placed on top of yours.
    Old 07-09-2024, 04:23 PM

i agree with the others about steam. If that doesn't work, could you mist it with water, use a pressing cloth and a clothes press to give it some extra "oomph" of pressure? Provided the fabrics would take the extra heat/pressure/steam.... Good luck and let us know what works!
    Old 07-10-2024, 01:42 AM

First of all, I would provide feedback to the show. If yours has creases, do others? You enter shows often, your work has been highly showcased these are not utilitarian quilts, they are works of art and should be treated as such. Second, what type of batting did you use? If it's wool, can you use steam? You must have some contacts with other artists that enter shows like yourself, have you inquired with them for suggestions?
    I have no suggestions for you, my quilts are not showing pieces, but I would research the heck out of it before doing anything so as to not ruin the show piece. Good luck, I hope you get this figured out in time to enter it in the next show. And I can't even imagine the despair you must have felt when you received your piece back and opened the package.😔
    Old 07-10-2024, 03:48 AM
    Power Poster

For me, my first line is always wet it down, via a spritzer, but I do go for fairly heavy spraying/wetting from both sides. Then lay flat on something solid such as a table, well padded to absorb the moisture. I then press it firmly with my hands, every once in a while. Flip and repeat. It may take more than once on each side. Additionally, I have added something weighty on top, to the area of concern. If not a large area an old sad iron is my fave! Larger areas, I have laid a spare table board across with heavy objects piled on top. Again, padding to absorb the moisture and protect the table board, as well as protect from staining.

If it is something I can put in the dryer ... which I am not sure you would with yours. I spritzer/dampen the trouble area and throw into the dryer with some wet towels. Works great when I bring out my seasonal wall hangings/runners, even quilts that have those fold presses from being packed away. Sometimes I don't bother with the spritzinig and just let the moisture from the towels "steam" the dry quilted item.

Watson ... I totally understand how you might be feeling over this. It's disheartening to have our quilts returned from a show, not in the condition they were sent. Seeing them mishandled at a show is horrible. I tried to overlook it, but a 2nd time (same show, different year) my totally sunk. Twice I went to pick up quilts after a show, and they could not be found (eventually were found). I quit showing. While I enjoyed the positives of the show experience, the trauma parts of showing just were not worth the positives.

Here's hoping for you, Watson, that you can get your quilt back in the condition that it should be!! Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2024, 07:47 AM

First of all, it looks like the creases are diagonal, which is good. Cotton batting will crease permanently if it's folded horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally. Wool batting will not crease permanently at all.
    As others have stated, try steam, and if that doesn't work to your satisfaction, I would block it.