Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with D9P >
  • Help with D9P

• Help with D9P

Old 10-03-2015, 03:59 AM

Go for whatever works out to be the most efficient, since you already have a design planned out. The reason I like DNP is for the randomness it creates when sew the 9 patch and then cut it up.

I love dots and think the project will be attractive no matter what!
    Old 10-03-2015, 04:01 AM

This looks like a D9P pattern. I would think it would be a lot easier to sew the 9 patches and cut to make this quilt. It would be a lot more trouble to sew the small individual squares. Does that make sense?
    Old 10-03-2015, 05:22 AM

Thank you for this lovely clear diagram! I plan to use it to make Community Quilts and will cut the prints 6.5", the black squares 2.5" and the white strips 2.5" x 6.5" making a 8.5" block. This is perfect for my beginning stitchers. I plan to cut 11 different WOF 6.5" strips for the prints (subcut into 6.5" squares), four 2.5" strips of black for the 2.5" squares and eight 6.5 WOF strips (subcut into 2.5 x 6.5 rectangles) for the white. This is a much easier and more accurate way of cutting and stitching to get a D9Patch in my opinion. Like most things in quilting, use the method that works for you.
    Old 10-03-2015, 05:40 AM
    Power Poster

3 * 6.5 = 18.5

Are your fat quarters cut generously?
    Old 10-03-2015, 06:05 AM

The D9p is a very easy pattern and it goes quickly. I think you will be complicating the process by cutting strips.
    Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 PM

It will be a great quilt using the dots!! Please post a pic when you start working on it
    Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

Much easier to just cut all your squares the same size as Quiltmouse suggested.
    Old 10-04-2015, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I think I will cut the fat quarters into 3 strips and sew the short white strip to them then sub cut them into blocks. I will sew the black cornerstone stripe to the longer white stripe and the hack them vertically. THANKS PP.
    You are trying to make the D9P with the little pieces. Quilting Nan has a plan for that, too. But the original plan for D9P has you make 9-patches first. Usually we put the same color into the center of all the 9-patches: black or white or something really bright and eye-catching. Then another color goes on the four sides of the center square; finally the corner blocks are added. These corner blocks are the ones that show up most in the finished quilt, so we put squares that we'd rather not cut up here. After the 9-patch is created, we cut it once up and down the middle and once across the middle. Now you have created four 4-patches which you can arrange as you wish. The picture in the first post is just one arrangement, but is probably the most used arrangement. There are many more.
    Old 10-04-2015, 06:37 AM

I do mine the same as quiltmouse. Works every time, but I find 5" strips works the best when using fat quarters.
    Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM

Adding my two cents here: I agree with your idea of strip piecing this particular pattern. I have made a lot of D9P, and in this particular layout, you can indeed save the time of sewing and cutting all the 9Ps.

Once you decide the size of your dot fabric squares to make the best use of your fat quarters (I will use your 6" size) it will be very easy, needing only two sets of strips. Set one will be the 6" dots with a 2" white strip, and set two will be a 6" white strip with a 2" black strip.
    You will use one of each strip set to make each 8" segment which will represent 1/4th of the 9P block.