Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!  Did I ruined my accuquilt die?  I rolled it without the cutting mat >
  • Help! Did I ruined my accuquilt die? I rolled it without the cutting mat

• Help! Did I ruined my accuquilt die? I rolled it without the cutting mat

Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Default Help! Did I ruined my accuquilt die? I rolled it without the cutting mat

I really don't understand how it happened, but I rolled my accuquilt die in my studio cutting machine with the cutting mat UNDER the die (and not on top on it). It's a very stupid thing, I know. Now the die is not cutting anymore, I suspect I must have dull the blade. Is there anyway to fix it? I want to cry, this die is very useful, it was brand new (and quite expensive at 45$).
    Old 06-22-2016, 03:58 PM

It is quite possible that you have dulled the blades... try contacting Accuquilt, they may be able to help.

Hugs

Caroline
    Old 06-23-2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
    It is quite possible that you have dulled the blades... try contacting Accuquilt, they may be able to help.

Hugs

Caroline
    Well, at least they are quick. I sent an email to the customer service and got the answer within a few hours. They told me I have to purchase a new die But I just don't have the money for that right now. I will have to hand cut tons of half squares for a custom order I got last week. I'm very discouraged.
    Old 06-23-2016, 05:06 AM

Sorry to hear that.....can you somehow make the chore a bit easier for yourself...like triangles on a roll or thangles or if you have the strip die same size at least get squares to be cut diagonally?
    Old 06-23-2016, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

The blade edges are flattened from the rollers. If there is a handyman in your family or friends, they can clamp the foam back and hone the blade edges for you. A machine shop will probably do it too.
    Old 06-23-2016, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

The roller in the machine is steel, so if it is pressed hard against the blade it will dull it.
    Since you don't have anything to lose, I would go to Home Hardware and see if they have a knife sharpener with preset stones that would fit in the die. Like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accusharp-Kn...oAAOSwpDdVSUo7
    You will need to either spread the foam away from the blades or remove it all together (then replace it with a couple layers of craft foam). You could also take it to a place where they sharpen knives & scissors.
    Steel rule dies are sharpened all the time for printing shops, but they use the bigger wooden dies like the studio uses. The dies are removed from the wooden block, then sharpened and either replaced in the original wood block, or a new block is made. The GO dies are embedded in the plastic base so this isn't an option for them.
    Oh, and I just figured out where the space goes in your name!
    Old 06-23-2016, 06:48 AM
    Power Poster

The GO dies are embedded in the plastic base so this isn't an option for them.
    The dies are in a wood base. The base of wood is glued to the plastic case. The wood with blades can be removed. I've had several apart. DH honed the blades by clamping the foam down around the blades. It went back to the original shape. I give DH all my can't use quilting items to see if he can make a repair. If he can great, if not I haven't lost anything. I like to see how the item is made. He took my Go apart to put new bearings in. DH was impressed with the quality of it. I loved the new heavy duty bearings, turns like butter with six layers of fabric.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-23-2016 at 06:52 AM.
    Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM

Thank you all very much for sharing your ideas. Since I have nothing to loose, like you said, I will try it. I have a knife sharpener so if I can remove the blade, that should do.
    Old 06-23-2016, 11:23 AM
    Power Poster

Be careful the blades are super sharp. Wear gloves.
    Old 06-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Be careful the blades are super sharp. Wear gloves.
    You are so kind, but the blade are no sharp any more! I removed the foam and can now clearly see the wood base. But what to do now? Hubby don't know what tool I can use to sharpen the blade. Should I do it by hand with a metal file?