Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with Dresden's - my first time! >
  • Help with Dresden's - my first time!

• Help with Dresden's - my first time!

Old 12-10-2022, 11:34 AM

If necessary, mark your quarter inch seams and sew on those marks only. Consistency is the key . Good luck.
    But please let us know if you figure things out otherwise!
    Old 12-10-2022, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor
    This is the quilt I am planning to make. I already have the pattern. I am doing the Christmas tree Dresden wall hanging as a prelude to doing a full quilt.
    Watch and follow her video! She is an awesome teacher and I love mine!
    Old 12-10-2022, 06:19 PM

Those are two great patterns. You have some very good advice here. I know your wall hanging & quilt will turn out very nice. If not perfect, you are probably the only one who will know. You did pick out two of the more interesting ones to do. I like your choices.
    Old 12-10-2022, 06:49 PM

Check the pattern on page 2 and 3. There are 3 different lengths to cut the dresdens.

A different number of dresdens are pieced together for each arch.

This pattern doesn’t create a circle so the typical math theory is put aside for this one.
    Old 12-11-2022, 04:52 AM

Thanks for all of the advice from everyone! It gives me something to reference when I start my Dresden Quilt.

I'm down to the last days of making the Dresden Tree Wall Hanging. The Dresden's are all done and my tree laid out on my back ground fabric, now I just have to attach everything and quilt it, then bind it. I changed the pattern somewhat. I put extra rows of Dresden's on to make the tree bigger, and I put a tree skirt on it, also shortening the trunk a little. I also, in adding more rows, was able to more 'peak' the top of the tree, and I made a yellow star for the top of the tree (I didn't put the star in the circle that shows in the pattern) just put it on the tree like a regular tree's star. I also put solid borders on it. I have a cream and gold background fabric for the front, Red Spiral borders and a green backing fabric for the back (same fabric that I made the tree skirt out of). I'll be binding it with the same green as well. I'm quilting the Dresden as I put it on, so the outline of the Dresden will be on the back as well, and in the open areas of the backing, I'm quilting Christmas shapes. I have Bells, Holly, and Stars. I'll be quilting in Gold thread on the cream and gold backing, and with Green thread on the Dresden's, with gold on the star on the top of the tree.
    I'll post a picture here when I get it finished!
    Thanks again!

Last edited by quiltsfor; 12-11-2022 at 04:55 AM.
    Old 12-11-2022, 08:12 AM

Sounds like you've got your problem fixed. One thing to remember when sewing and pressing your Dresden wedges is that all the seams you are sewing are bias so be gentle. They can stretch out of shape easily. Sometimes you can use a little starch and steam on the finished plate to shrink the excess out and make the circle lie flat. Starching all your fabric before cutting your wedges helps too. And there's no shame in having to take a couple of your seams a little deeper once they are pieced to make the circle lie flat.
    One of my quilting friends calls me the Queen of Dresdens because I love making them in so many different variations. In fact, I just finished a quilt top using Geta Grama's method for turning them into square blocks. Easier than appliqueing all those circles.
    Old 12-11-2022, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

I just finished a quilt top using Geta Grama's method for turning them into square blocks

Love Geta's patterns, she use to post her regularly. She has amazing tutorials too.
    Old 12-13-2022, 12:58 PM

I finished my Dresden Tree Wall Hanging, except for putting it on the Quilt Wall Hanger. DH is putting the last coat of stain and varnish on it today!

I promised a picture and here it is! Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help with the Dresden's - My planned project for Spring is going to be the Dresden Bloom Quilt. Winter projects are already lined up and ready to go as you can see from the background in my Dresden Tree Wall Hanging picture!
    Sorry for the pictures the way they posted, but it was hard to get the full Wall hanging in the picture, as it was laying on my cutting station. It is 35" x 44". I used the pattern, but did a bit of adjustments, adding more rows of Dresden's on the tree and changing the star layout and size. I also added a tree skirt and a solid border.

I also decided to quilt it with a couple of windows on either side of the tree and added floor boards, and star shine marks. I decided to do all of the quilting with gold thread and did the binding with green thread. The Dresden's are completely quilted around each Dresden and each row.
    Attached Thumbnails img_5379.jpg   img_5380.jpg  

Last edited by quiltsfor; 12-13-2022 at 01:05 PM.