Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!  First Quilt Ever! >
  • Help! First Quilt Ever!

• Help! First Quilt Ever!

Old 01-05-2015, 09:15 AM

hi aszule
    welcome to the qb and quilting - it is a wonderful and creative craft/art that is valued and enjoyed all over the world. i appreciate your enthusiasm and your affection for your bff, so please don't take anything i am about to say as negative or discouraging. everyone starts somewhere and there are many quilters here that will be offering you support, advice and answers to the many questions you will have as you begin sewing.
    that is a very complicated pattern for someone starting from scratch. you want to look for something much less complex that will give you a chance to gain a few skills and not require a huge investment in supplies. you don't want this quilt to cost more than the baby's future tuition to harvard. keep in mind that your very first efforts will probably not be as wonderful as you plan them to be. start with something really simple - pet mats or a lap quilt for yourself.
    here are some suggestions to get started.
    check craftsy.com - there is a free mini course by gail kessler - piece patch and quilt. she discusses lots of stuff to buy - but also just simple techniques which will give you an idea of where you are heading. you don't need to buy everything at once.
    missouri star quilt company - they have a huge library of videos (check you tube) - mostly featuring the precuts they sell. jenny doan has lots of easy designs that will give you a way to start. a disclaimer - i don't use precuts myself (there was no such thing when i started quilting) but i can see the value of them and i like the simple doable approach on msq. you will have a pattern (from the free video) fabric and very little cutting to do.
    you can spend several hundred dollars - just 'getting started' - but it is not necessary to do this. a pencil, a ruler (6x12 is an always useful size) and a decent pair of scissors are really all you need for your first quilt (especially if you go with the precuts). and of course, needles, thread, pins, and a tape measure.

do you have a sewing machine (or access to one) or are you planning to hand piece and quilt? i typically machine piece and hand quilt (my favorite) and sometimes do bit of machine quilting.
    don't get discouraged by conflicting advice - there are many approaches in quilting - and amazingly, many of them work! you will find what works for you - and maybe, sometime down the road, completely change your mind. learning to accurately cut measure and sew really takes some practice.
    stay - ask questions - don't be afraid to make mistakes. as we quilters say - they are just new design opportunities.
    lefty - in philly
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Basketman
    I guess it is all about your determination to succeed and then finding the path to make it all happen. I know from experience that I had zero sewing skills as well and a "crash course" of maybe one hour from a friend was my introduction to quilting. I launched into a king sized quilt with 50 blocks with maybe 40 half square triangle in each block, biased edges, directional fabrics, setting zig zags between the blocks and it came out square! Maybe just "dumb luck" but I never retreat from anything... I just advance in a different direction. That said, I also agree it is nice to have a mentor and being able to discuss those areas that give you the greatest concern and get some direct advice. I know when I needed some pointers and I went to the internet I was so inexperienced I did not even know how to ask an informed question and search out the answer...so do the best of both worlds. GO FOR IT...one can never aim too high, getting there that makes for an interesting journey, find an adviser to hold the safety net and best of luck!
    Thanks,

I am really determined to make it happen even if I have to give it to her for her baby's 1st birthday. I do appreciate the advice about going to a sewing store and getting help, I'll do that. I am just stubborn enough to make it happen.
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 AM

Hi There! Welcome to the board and welcome to quilting! That quilt you posted is gorgeous, but I'm not sure it can be done in 9 months, that is just a ton of work!

A friend of mine made this for her nephew as his baby quilt and it has a space theme, but is made of a more simple block. Keep in mind, you could pick an easier block, but still use your fabric and design it in a way that creates a similar look, but without the pain of using that exact pattern...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504801[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 4d1f5b37-ff8b-4586-85fb-732c98495d28_zpsmujkizuy.jpg  
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:36 AM

I love your idea and your proposed fabric. You will be able to get this done because you are determined.
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:41 AM

Why is it bad that all of the cuts are on a bias? Because it makes the fabric stretchier and more easy to warp? What makes this pattern so difficult? It looks really repetitive.... Once I make 1 block wont i just keep doing that over and over again until I hate myself and my stupid quilt idea?
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

The fabric you have chosen will give you somewhat the same blocks but you will have more dark ones then coloured. OBW take a lot of fabrics because you need 6 repeats of pattern on the fabric. OBW pattern is made up of equilateral triangles sewn together in half rows. It is tempting to sew the whole hexagon together but those are hard to sew to each other then.
    There are books that will take you through the steps of cutting the fabric and stacking 6 layers on top of each other to cut on Amazon. There is also a cutting Tutorial on QB I believe but you will have to look for it in Archives. Archives are located on the main page of QB at the very bottom. Click on it and then Tutorials for a complete list.
    As other have mentioned it is a hard pattern as your first but determination goes a long way. You might also watch some YouTube videos for general quilt construction tips. Good luck!
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Also, I totally understand being stubborn and having your vision. I don't doubt that you can do it. But you'll definitely need the help of a quilt shop! Also, since you feel like you have time, I would recommend getting some cheap, practice fabric and making at least one or two steps with that. That way, you won't use up too much of the fabric you love on parts you might end up throwing away.

I was in a similar situation with my first quilt... I chose to do a twin sized difficult pattern and everyone told me it was too hard. I went for it anyway, and it took me about 10 years longer to complete than planned, but I did it and it's all done!

I think you can manage if you don't get frustrated and you take a beginner class at your local shop. Even if you think it seems like you're wasting time, you will learn some great basic techniques that will make you way more efficient, like cutting. I used to cut one strip at a time, after taking a class, I realized that I could do 4! So I cut my time down by 400%!
    Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Aszule, I agree that a OBW is a big step for a beginner. There are so many steps in preparing, cutting, and sewing the fabric that I suggest that if you really want to do it, find an LQS that has a class in it. It would be a lot easier if you take the class, because a teacher will take you step-by-step through the process.

Otherwise, the fabric is great and would look good as a single panel quilt or with large blocks. Good luck.
    Old 01-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Aszule
    Why is it bad that all of the cuts are on a bias? Because it makes the fabric stretchier and more easy to warp? What makes this pattern so difficult? It looks really repetitive.... Once I make 1 block wont i just keep doing that over and over again until I hate myself and my stupid quilt idea?
    Yes, bias edges stretch and warp very, very easily. You can control SOME of that with lots (and I mean LOTS) of starch - preferably liquid Sta-flo that you mix to your desired strength as needed. Some folks 'paint' their fabric with starch - in a heavy concentration in these situations - to get the fabric to a 'stiff as a board' feel to help with the stretching/warping.

I've not done one of these quilts...they scare me!...but I'm guessing at some point you need to stack your fabric cuts EXACTLY and then cut through the 6 layers that Tartan mentions. Cutting through that many layers can be a challenge as well. Many of us are challenged just cutting through 2 layers at once!

Perhaps if your nearby shop is not able to help with this specific pattern, there may be a fellow QB member near to you that might be able to give you some help one-on-one. If so, I'm sure they will PM (private message) you. As some one else mentioned, check with your local quilt shop (LQS) for either a class or a local guild that might be able to provide you help as well.

Good luck. I'm another that, just because someone says it's for an advanced crafter doesn't mean it can't be done first time out. But patience is certainly a virtue.
    Old 01-05-2015, 11:27 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Aszule
    A beginner's quilting class at a quilt shop or adult education is highly recommended for basic quilting skills.
    I don't think the pattern is really hard. My friend made it as her first quilt. She hadn't sewn since Jr High and that was 40+ years ago. Yes. You need to treat the bias edges with respect so they won't stretch. Don't push or pull the fabric as you sew.
    As far as the pattern goes, buy the book. There are lots of tips. Read it a couple times then just follow the instructions step by step:
    http://www.amazon.com/One-Block-Wond...e+block+wonder
    Do not be tempted to get the Kindle version. I did. Downloaded it to my IPad. It was B&W and you couldn't make heads or tails of it.
    You can also get instructions here:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ns-t92503.html

You also need to invest in a couple of rulers: a 6.5" X 24" and a 60 degree ruler. You will also need a rotary cutter and mat.
    As far as the fabric needed, you are making hexagons, so you need 6 pattern repeats. It looks like the fabric has a 24 inch repeat (2 feet), so 6 X 2 feet = 12 feet or 4 yards. You want some extra, so I would get at least 4.5 yards. more if you want to use it for a border.