Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!  Frozen with indecision! >
  • Help! Frozen with indecision!

• Help! Frozen with indecision!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Your quilt is beautiful - I love the simplicity of the design, very stunning. What size did you make the large rectangles?
    Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM

I agree with everyone - you should try some of Angela Walter's designs - she will do different designs in each block - it adds alot of texture but doesn't take away from the quilt itself. Also, try to use matching thread - that really adds texture. Looks like a great opportunity to try new things.
    Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Our son will be finishing year 2 of his architectural degree, so geometric designs seemed to be in order. I've tried a few of Leah Day's designs, but on a larger scale. I didn't want it to have a heavy design.

At this point, I am not able to do ruler work, without a fat foot. (Already tried, but not successful). I have about 8 different patterns started, and will mix them up. I don't want to dream up a different pattern for each block.

The rectangles are about 8 x 15, with 1 inch sashings. It is not my idea, I saw one similar to this at a B&B we stayed at with the kids over winter break. It was simply quilted in straight lines across the quilt, with one inch spacings. It looked really nice done that way, but without a ruler foot, I can't do that with my machine.

Thanks for helping me out of my brain freeze! I feel I can do this now.
    Old 04-18-2013, 08:09 PM

I have been where you are..and I will be again! I have found a couple sites that are good inspiration..I take notes and I only pick ONE design at a time. If you are going to do a sampler...try them out on a dry erase board till you are happy with them. Don't put your elbow down..you are training your arm, not your wrist. I often repeat the same design, esp if I have the same fabric elsewhere in the quilt. Oh...I have heard a glass of wine and music works. Breathing usually is my best bet! lolol
    Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by phranny
    I purchased a refurbished Voyager 17 and my hubby set it up. First full size quilt is loaded now, after a practice piece. But. How would I quilt this one? An all over meander would be okay, but I am ready to branch out into something different, but what?

It's just simple rectangles made from shirts. Feathers would hardly be appropriate, as it is a quilt for our 19yo son. What would you suggest?[ATTACH=CONFIG]408787[/ATTACH]
    What about writing his name out---------a few hundred times? Maybe in different scripts?
    Old 04-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by toolazy
    What about something like lightning bolts? Similar to an overall meander, but with sharp edges and points -- maybe jazzier for a 19yo guy.
    sounds good!
    Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by toolazy
    What about something like lightning bolts? Similar to an overall meander, but with sharp edges and points -- maybe jazzier for a 19yo guy.

I googled modern free motion quilting and found this. on the order of your idea ..............If this doesn't work, I apologize........................
    346electricstormb.JPG
    freemotionquilting.blogspot.com
    1588 × 1600 - Feel free to use this free motion quilting design in your quilts
    Similar More sizes
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 AM

Check out Angela Walters. She is a gold mine of ideas. She has a couple of books but you can get a lot of ideas just perusing her blog. http://www.quiltingismytherapy.com/
    Old 04-19-2013, 03:48 AM

I did a "Thinking Outside the Block" lap quilt for DGS. I used Leah Day's "Spiral Knots" with a variegated blue thread top and bobbin. It softens the linear look of the quilt. Here are a couple of pics.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]408874[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]408875[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 1-dsc_0721.jpg   4-dsc_0725.jpg  
    Old 04-19-2013, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
    I have been where you are..and I will be again! I have found a couple sites that are good inspiration..I take notes and I only pick ONE design at a time. If you are going to do a sampler...try them out on a dry erase board till you are happy with them. Don't put your elbow down..you are training your arm, not your wrist. I often repeat the same design, esp if I have the same fabric elsewhere in the quilt. Oh...I have heard a glass of wine and music works. Breathing usually is my best bet! lolol
    Thanks for the advice. I did find myself leaning my arm on the bar, and thinking, oh, that gives me better control. I guess the rule is, No elbows on the bar!