Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help - how would you quilt this? >
  • Help - how would you quilt this?

• Help - how would you quilt this?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:00 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous! I am no help with the quilting.
    Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    I would stitch in the ditch only around the star that is whole (the one that is just below and to the right of the center of your quilt in the picture). Then I would simply echo around that one star until the entire quilt is quilted. That would be very easy to accomplish in the time you have available and could either be done FMQ or with your walking foot. You would end up with concentric echos around that one star and as you got further out, your echoed line would run off the edge of the quilt, so you wouldn’t have to worry about the binding interfering with a pattern. Also it would have the effect of being an all over texture that would reinforce the shape of the main star and also the spiraling out effect of the pieced pattern without overwhelming the rest of your lovely piecing.

Rob
    Love this idea!
    Old 10-06-2017, 05:44 AM

I have never seen this pattern. What is it called. Love it
    Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 AM
    Power Poster

Wow, that is one beautiful quilt!!!!!!! I love it.
    Old 10-06-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    I would stitch in the ditch only around the star that is whole (the one that is just below and to the right of the center of your quilt in the picture). Then I would simply echo around that one star until the entire quilt is quilted. That would be very easy to accomplish in the time you have available and could either be done FMQ or with your walking foot. You would end up with concentric echos around that one star and as you got further out, your echoed line would run off the edge of the quilt, so you wouldn’t have to worry about the binding interfering with a pattern. Also it would have the effect of being an all over texture that would reinforce the shape of the main star and also the spiraling out effect of the pieced pattern without overwhelming the rest of your lovely piecing.

Rob
    Love this idea.
    Old 10-06-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I have a lot more to think about now. You've given me lots of great ideas that hadn't occurred to me; I feel a lot more inspired now!

Also, a huge thank you for all the very kind complements. I created the pattern myself. I had seen the cover of Simply Triangles by Barbara Cline online somewhere, which has a very similar quilt. I didn't remember where I had seen it, though, and spent months looking for it, until I gave up and decided I had dreamed it. I've been working on this quilt on and off for almost 3 years, and just a couple months ago I saw the book cover again on Amazon. I want to buy it, just to see if her piecing method is the same as mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet. At least I know I'm not crazy now - I spent months describing the cover of the book to every quilt store employee I could find, and nobody had ever seen it!

It's been a real love-hate thing working on this quilt. If you're into statistics, the basic block here is an equilateral triangle made up of three smaller strip-pieced triangles. There are almost 300 y-seams at the centres of those blocks (I'm really good at y-seams now!). I didn't know much about designing quilts when I started, so there are 12 seams coming together at the centre of each star, and just over 55% of the fabric is in the seam allowances. There are dozens of fabrics in it - I didn't keep count, just bought every blue-green batik at every store I went to for years. I figure I have enough leftovers to make 20 or 30 more quilts in this colourway, although I really don't want to look at them now! (okay, that's an exaggeration, but at least 2 or 3 more).

I will definitely post more pictures when it's done. I need to figure out how to get the colour a bit better; it's actually navy at the edges, not black, and all the blues should be a bit bluer.

Thanks again for all your help!
    Old 10-06-2017, 09:38 AM
    Power Poster

I forgot to mention - spectacular top!
    Old 10-06-2017, 10:21 AM

What color will you quilt this masterpiece in?
    Old 10-06-2017, 12:07 PM
    DJ

Just want to say ... Stunning!
    Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44
    What color will you quilt this masterpiece in?
    I'm planning on using matching thread, so lighter in the middle, darker towards the edges. That way my wobbles don't show up as much. Thread is included in my longarm rental, and there's a whole wall of colors to choose from, so I can use a number of shades without much hassle.