Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help, I have never flown! >
  • Help, I have never flown!

• Help, I have never flown!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM

I take hand work on the plane alot. I use the small stork scissors. But have needles and do hand piecing and applique. For the small needle eye I am not sure cutting with floss thing would leave the end clean enough to thread the needle. But it is a good idea.

I also have taken knitting and have not had any problem with needles no matter what they are made of.

Best bet though is to check the TSA website prior to your leaving to make sure nothing has changed.
    Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Even though you check with the website some TSA people don't seem to know the rules. Therefore, you might want to take an padded envelope or a box to mail things to where you are going rather that have to give them up entirely.

Too bad we can't do TSA and if something is rejected then put it in our checked luggage.

ali
    Old 02-07-2012, 04:14 PM

I wear this when I fly and it is allowed. http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Thread-...8660007&sr=8-1 It will cut any threads...not good if you need to cut a piece of fabric!
    Old 02-07-2012, 07:57 PM

We recently flew from IN to Hawaii. I had good intentions of taking something to do on the plane but I have to tell you, I am just as glad that I didn't. I find flying to be very boring but also do not care for the feeling of being in tight spaces (like the middle seat in the middle section of the plane). I can just see me dropping thread or yarn or something on the floor and not be able to retrieve it! Instead, I amused myself with the movie channels on the monitor or read a novel. It just seems easier. But, DDIL flew last summer with knitting needles and child's scissors and got along just fine.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 AM

Can't see why they would let knitting needles on and not other things, you could kill someone with those. Never figure these people out.
    Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    Can't see why they would let knitting needles on and not other things, you could kill someone with those. Never figure these people out.
    They confiscated my daughter's nail clippers ?? but they let disposable razors go through. They take scissors but let bottles go through. A piece of broken glass could be fatal. I think they would face too much resistance from the duty free people who sell alcohol and perfumes to myriads of tourists if they started not allowing glass bottles on the plane.

Don't count on 4" long scissors. In the end the TSA person is authority. You can try to reason with them, but if they say, it goes, either you don't get on the plane, have to check your bag, or throw the thing away. I don't think they negotiate very much. They are authority and you are under them. Your choice if you fly.

I just flew to Kenya. My daughter flew TO Kenya the same as she flew back. On the way back they took her nail clippers and fingernail scissors which were way less than 4" but were sharp. On the way everything went through fine. (She forgot to give them to me since she was only flying with a carry-on.) I've also had things go through one airport that were flagged at another like liquids. We had a whole bottle of water go through one, whereas they told everyone to throw them away as you aren't supposed to take it at a different one. It is strange and inconsistent. Generally I have quit sewing while flying, and read instead.

Last edited by justflyingin; 02-08-2012 at 01:53 AM.
    Old 02-08-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    If it's a short flight I would sit back and enjoy the ride. For longer trips I would check the regulations and bring a stamped self-addressed postal envelope with me in case something was not allowed. I could then mail it back to my home address rather than have it confiscated.
    Great idea. I love the dental floss one too.
    Annie