Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! I Have A Snag! >
  • Help! I Have A Snag!

• Help! I Have A Snag!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 PM
    Kas

Well, get rid of the tail hanging out and then quilt a leaf and stem down the sides instead of feathers. But whatever you quilt (unless applique gets approved) just plan it so part of the quilting goes right on the flaw. And after it is washed it will pucker so it won't be as noticable.
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
    My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
    That's what I would do, too.
    Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
    I think this natural flaw in the fabric is just part of the quilt. Pull the snag to the back as suggested and some kid will love the bugs and not notice the "flaw". natural silk has this type of texture throughout the fabric and no one crys "flaw" at that. Don't worry to much over this very minor imperfection. Have fun at the craft fair!
    peace
    I agree. In addition to silk, linen fabrics often have this slub woven right in, sometimes heavily, sometimes lightly. Other fabrics do, too, as part of the texture. I would just pull the loose thread to the back, then quilt over the "flaw", as others have suggested.
    Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 AM

Try a tool to repair snags or an easy-threading needle to take that long thread into the middle.

I recently added a ladybug to a picture by searching for images on the net, resizing, and then printing on Printed Treasures photo fabric. It would be best to fuse and stitch as turning under and stitching is difficult because of the high thread count.
    Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
    Feathers are a bit grown up for this quilt. It's a child's quilt, done in bug fabrics in the center. There's no pin in there, though that would've been an easy fix. It's a flaw in the weave, like what CoventryUK said. I'm trying to think of a way and looking for suggestions on the best way to quilt over it. Really not sure.
    Since it is a child's quilt, how about an applique of some kind. That way you could cover the whole flaw and the applique would look planned.
    Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 AM

I was thinking the same thing as Hillary. You could even buy a small package of bug appliques and put several on the quilt. I think that would add a nice touch. Good luck with that.
    Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Jeeze! Who is going to notice that unless it is pointed out to them? Is she charging $2000.00 or $200.00?

I agree............it's not as noticeable as you might think....just don't want it to get snagged again in the needle while you are quilting it....good luck.
    Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
    My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
    This is how I do it with sweaters it works every time
    Old 06-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    I use these and have for years for knitted sweaters. I have two cats...need I say anything more?

In the drug stores you can find some huge plastic needle looking things that are sold as "Floss leaders" which you can thread with floss and pull it thorough and past bridges in your teeth.

These are marvelous for doing just what you're talking about.

Or use a big needle!
    Hadn't thought about floss leaders. I have always used crochet hooks for this. Thanks for this tip. :-)
    Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    How about an applique?
    That would be my suggestion