Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with ideas for special baby >
  • Help with ideas for special baby

• Help with ideas for special baby

Old 09-09-2011, 04:12 PM

My grandson was born with Trisome 13. They said he would only live a few days to a week. He passed away just a week shy of his 13th birthday. He had multiple problems but was the love of anyone's life he touched. He was blind and deaf but loved to be held and would put his head against your throat because he could feel the vibrations when you talked. It always made him smile. There also is a National Trisomy 13 support group which may help her. My heart goes out to her, it's a rough time and I will keep her and her family in my prayers.
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 PM

This young woman has an amazing faith and such courage. I know the hardest part of her struggle and grief is yet to come. You can't imagine how grateful I am - and how incredibly grateful she was to learn about how many lovely people are praying for her and her baby! God's people are truly special, and we have such a unique bond, even if we've never met. Thank you to all who have prayed for this situation and for all your inspired and wonderful ideas. What a gift you all are! I am staining a fairly large wooden box that is large enough to hold many items, including the quilt that was made for the baby. I will crochet something like the angel wrap (what a lovely idea!) if I can hurry.
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

So sad, I will never understand why these things happen. So sorry for the Mother, luckily I never had this happen to anyone I knew.
    Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM

I work for hospice. We do provide the beautiful hand made wooden box to the family. There is a photo album and footprint kit inside. We also provide free counseling (if wanted) to the family.
    Old 09-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by AFQSinc
    Can you make a tiny bonnet or little gown that the baby can wear while she holds him or her and has some photos taken? Then she can either keep the little item or sadly have the baby buried with it and then she'll have a photo of the baby wearing it.

So heartbreaking. I will pray for her, her little one and the family.
    I like the bonnet idea as well.
    Old 09-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Over the last few years, I have had the privilege of creating two “Love and Comfort” quilt sets. As sad as the reason behind them is, its one small thing I can do to help when one feels so helpless.
    It’s based on the 100 good wishes quilts for adoption.
    Each person buys and sends a fat quarter piece of fabric (you have to explain it really well to non sewers) or a 1/3 yard of fabric.
    AS well, the sender sends a note that is a poem, a Bible verse or something that has helped them though a rough time in their lives.
    From the fabric you cut a small piece and create a scrapbook (nothing fancy just the note and fabric on the page)
    The first quilt is for the child. It’s a smaller version of the larger quilt and vise versa. This quilt is to be buried with the child.
    Than the larger queen or king sized quilt is created. Using the same pattern as the smaller quilt only the blocks are larger.
    The first one I made was for a woman from a parenting board I belong to. Her DD was born with Trisomy 13 and live 50 days. They did not find out until the baby was born. In that time, women from all over the world sent in fabric and I created the two quilts. Baby K’s quilt was buried with her and she got to use it before she passed. Her parents quilt was sent right around the time she passed. The last time we talked about it, the quilt was on their bed.
    The second set of quilts has not yet been given, next weekend we will give it to DN and her husband. Their first born was dx with anencephaly around the 20 week U/S. Family and friends sent in the fabric and I created the quilts. Both are ready to go along with a scrapbook with the fabric and notes. They have no idea about the items.
    Both are basically just blocks with sashing around them.
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM

I been there where your friemd is going to be.My daughter was born with many disabilities and not expected to ever come home from the hospital.She surptised everybody lived to be almost 17.A friend made me a lil pillow with her name and date of birth.A a lil poem.Pm me if you interested on the poem
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:22 PM

How about a Memory Box. If you go to Memorybox.org you can read about these wonderful gifts. My Decorative Painting group used to make 100's of these to give to local hospitals.
    Old 09-09-2011, 07:49 PM

I think Lisa Gibbs' (below) idea of a box for special items is truly inspired. Maybe the chapter and verse of a comforting bible passage could be written on the bottom of the box with a Sharpie.
    Wouldn't have to be a box from Hobby Lobby - a small jewelry box, or any small delicate box would work well.
    My prayers are with you and your friend.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 AM

As I read through these, I am awed by the love, support and goodness in all of you. My heart breaks for this family.