Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with a log cabin block/quilt >
  • Help with a log cabin block/quilt

• Help with a log cabin block/quilt

Old 07-17-2024, 03:05 PM

Default Help with a log cabin block/quilt

Is there a YouTube video explaining and demonstrating how to layout the fabrics for a log cabin block? Am I correct in sewing the first two strips around the centre must be the same value? then the next two are opposing value? Eg either start with two light then two dark or vice versa.
    I'm making a quilt for my goddaughter and her husband is gifting it to her for Christmas gifts - two years ago he paid for the fabrics, last year was for the quilter and this year covers my time. So I want to do a really good job. The pattern is a different color selection.
    Old 07-17-2024, 06:59 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzncJHhkQow
    maybe this will help
    Old 07-18-2024, 03:50 AM

I "googled" Log Cabin quilts and found a multitude of tutorials/video for anyone from a beginner to advanced quilter. Try doing a search for one that you like.
    Old 07-18-2024, 04:04 AM

I don't think there is a "hard and fast" rule. This is a traditional block that was passed down through the ages. Our ancestors made this quilt block with what they had. The overwhelming majority of quilts were made to keep you warm in the winter. Very few were made for "show" or display as few women had spare time for aesthetics.

However, the first two logs should have the same value (light or dark), as that is the start of that "side" of the block. Then the next two logs would be the other value. This is if you are doing a traditional block with a dark side and a light side, for lack of a better description. I just googled "log cabin quilt" to get multiple photos at once.

I would suggest that you make it like you like. If you like the first two sides to be the same, make it that way. If I was still questioning my choice, I would go to pinterest or google and see how others have done it.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 07-18-2024 at 04:18 AM. Reason: grammar
    Old 07-18-2024, 04:32 AM

It helped me to sketch out a few blocks with colored pencils to see the end block. The first row determines if the color in the blocks "touch" or not. Some end up being right-handed or left-handed in color. Whatever you choose, be consistent. Hard to describe, but easy to see if you color it first.
    Old 07-21-2024, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ
    Is there a YouTube video explaining and demonstrating how to layout the fabrics for a log cabin block? Am I correct in sewing the first two strips around the centre must be the same value? then the next two are opposing value? Eg either start with two light then two dark or vice versa.
    I'm making a quilt for my goddaughter and her husband is gifting it to her for Christmas gifts - two years ago he paid for the fabrics, last year was for the quilter and this year covers my time. So I want to do a really good job. The pattern is a different color selection.
    I have just finished a scrappy log cabin (Log cabin quilt without trimming?) and thought I'd add my experience - I found I was happier if I worked with pairs of the same fabric, and not just the same value. So the first two strips I attached were the same light fabric, then the next two were the same dark fabric, etc. It just made it all seem a bit calmer and more cohesive. I'm not sure if you are doing scrappy but it might be something to consider whatever your fabric palette is. :-)

Last edited by Gemm; 07-21-2024 at 07:05 AM. Reason: added link