Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP! Machine or hand?? >
  • HELP! Machine or hand??

• HELP! Machine or hand??

Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
    I am such a newbie, tomorrow I am going to Joann fabrics to buy my first ever yard of fabric(well a few yards actually), cutter, mat and ruler. I am very excited! I would love to hear some opinions on using a sew machine or doing everything by hand. I don' own or have access to a machine so that would also be a purchase. Time is really not a factor as I have plenty now. Thanks in advance!

David
    I'm so proud of you. Go for it, buy your fabric and either way you will be creating something with your individual talents. My first quilt was for my king sized bed. I made it twenty five years ago and still use it today. I get a laugh out of looking for and certainly finding all the mistakes I had made on my first quilt. I still cherish this quilt and would not part with it for anything. You don't have to have a machine but, of course, it goes faster using a machine. I haven't made another hand sewn quilt since I finished my first one. Takes a long time to hand sew small pieces and honestly I think my machine stitched quilts are much sturdier. If you decide to buy a machine listen to the ladies on this site, they really know their machines and straight stitching is all you need from a machine. Dealers will try to talk you into buying a machine that will do everything but brush your teeth and they are really expensive. Best of luck to you and your new found art form. Be sure to share whats going on in your future.
    Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Hey David,
    Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting! Machine or hand I say do both. I take along hand sewing [patches] when visiting
    Start with hand sewing to make sure that you want to quilt Than invest in a sewing machine. Good Luck
    Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM

I have done both. I think hand work is very good to get used to cutting exactly, piecing accurately and feeling the fabric as artwork.
    I have made several quilts with not one dot of machine sewing in them. They are rugged and loved by the people I gave them to.
    I recommend for the long haul, piecing by machine and hand-quilting, but do what makes you feel happy and it will be right.
    Try it first, and spend your money on great fabric, and after you have mastered accuracy and exact...cutting, get creative and wildly imaginative.
    You would be amazed what you can do with one 1 1/2 inch square cut from dozens of different coordinating and clashing fabrics.
    By the way, sew yoru name and the date into every thing you ever sew. Archivists of the future will love you. Happy sewing.
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:01 PM

I have done both, and I prefer to use a machine. That said, you can't beat hand work for portability.
    If you should decide to buy a machine, do yourself a big favor and look for a used vintage machine; all metal parts, easy to get replacement parts, and easy to maintain by yourself. There are some Yahoo groups for vintage sewing machines, and you can get a wealth of information there. Old Singer and Kenmore machines that are in good running condition are a great investment.
    Good luck to you on your first project!
    Stephanie
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 PM

My Grandmother was a fine seamstress and quilter and did all types of hand work. I asked her about the use of machines and she said that women welcomed the sewing machine as much as they did electricity. They needed all the "Labor saving devices" as that freed up time to give more to their families. She did quilt by hand and machine and enjoyed both.
    Old 12-09-2010, 02:55 PM

Thank you one and all for your opinions!!!!!! I believe I will do as many have suggested and start by hand. Learn and perfect as many basics as I can and later get a machine if I want. Again thank you all! wasn't sure what kind of welcome I would receive being a dumb clumsy male and all LOL But you all have greeted me with open arms!!!!

Thank you all again!

David
    Old 12-09-2010, 03:28 PM

Go for it David, Can't wait to see what you accomplish

Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM

You got to laugh ,I got a phone call and my finger got stuck lol