Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP! Machine or hand?? >
  • HELP! Machine or hand??

• HELP! Machine or hand??

Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Go ahead, try a small lap quilt, or maybe a pillow, but check your local sewing machine repair shops, purchase a machine that is inexpensive and try it, you never know what you like until you try it, but remember thet you don't want to spend to much on a machine until you figure it out, by the way, ask a friend if they have a machine, or check your local adudt education center, see if they have a beginners quilting class, or maybe your loacal fabric and quilt shops
    Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 AM

Welcome David. I think that machine quilting might be best at first - just me, (I don't like hand work) and if you don't have a machine, check the thrift stores or Wal Mart for an inexpensive $100 or so if you want a new machine, and start there, then if you love quilting which you most likely will, move on up in the machine line.
    Start with something very simple a table runner, place mats or small wall quilt. I would not go overboard at first trying to get all the tools that most of us have accumulated over the years for quilting.
    You will definitely need a cutting mat I would suggest no smaller than a 10x16, a rotary cutter, some scissors Fiskars spring loaded handles would be good, a straight ruler at least a 6x24, package of needles for hand work, which you will need, your fabric and thread. If you check out some of the books, look for one that tells you how to quilt, Eleanor Burns quilt in a Day books are good for beginners I think. If you have anyone you now that quilts, I would suggest taking them with you and getting their opinions. Purchase a few pieces of good cotton fabric to start with, then if you like what you are doing, get your backing and batting. Be sure to purchase what the pattern calls for when you decide on the pattern, because it is hard to get what you start with at a later date. That fabric may be gone when you go back.
    Have you ever done any sewing before?
    If you will go to Missouri Star Quilting on the net, and check out their videos, or Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day, you will get some good ideas and a lot of help.
    Let us know if we can help you in this beautiful new journey in your life.
    Glad to have you aboard. This is the BEST place to get any help and questions answered that you need.
    Old 12-10-2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
    Thank you one and all for your opinions!!!!!! I believe I will do as many have suggested and start by hand. Learn and perfect as many basics as I can and later get a machine if I want. Again thank you all! wasn't sure what kind of welcome I would receive being a dumb clumsy male and all LOL But you all have greeted me with open arms!!!!

Thank you all again!

David
    David since you are new to this site, check out the heading of pictures on the top or bottom of the pages and look at some of the quilts made by folks on this board. Eddie of Arkansas does quilting, so does Billy-Lostn51, and I can't think of his board title at the moment but his name is also Bill -Lockeb, and is from Canada. Just put any of these names in the search and look for their work. They have all made just beautiful quilts. Can't wait to see something of yours. I know there are other men on this board as well, just can't recall at this time.
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that many of us prewash our fabrics in case the dye runs, so it won't damage other fabrics we are using. Don't use fabric softener though, Just a hint to help you along. Go on line and look up 10 minute blocks and see how you like that pattern it is quick and easy to do. A little bit of advice - Quilting Can be addictive, and remember don't be afraid to ask ANY question everyone here is so helpful and there is No Dumb question ever. Again Welcome. Gerbie
    Old 12-10-2010, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
    I am such a newbie, tomorrow I am going to Joann fabrics to buy my first ever yard of fabric(well a few yards actually), cutter, mat and ruler. I am very excited! I would love to hear some opinions on using a sew machine or doing everything by hand. I don' own or have access to a machine so that would also be a purchase. Time is really not a factor as I have plenty now. Thanks in advance!

David
    David go to Allpeoplequilt.com and check out their section on easy quilts and the section on learn to quiilt. You can download free patterns there also. This might be a good place for you to start.
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM

Piece by machine.
    45 mm rotary cutter and a goodsized mat
    pins, iron, good 100% cotton fabric and threads
    and easy pattern to start and go for it oh an the Better
    Homes and Gardens Quilting you can get at JoAnns fot like 19.95
    Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 AM

Piece by machine.
    45 mm rotary cutter and a goodsized mat
    pins, iron, good 100% cotton fabric and threads
    and easy pattern to start and go for it oh an the Better
    Homes and Gardens Quilting you can get at JoAnns fot like 19.95
    A machine that has a 1/4 in foot
    Old 12-10-2010, 05:56 AM

If you decide to give it a try hand piecing, a good place to start might be the stained glass "cathedral" quilts since they really lend them selves to hand work and would tell you if this is something you will like, although once bitten I expect you will want to get a featherweight, since they are so cute, lightweight, portable and relatively affordable. Stay away from the cheap plastic stuff out there, you will be better off with a vintage singer and the initial investment not so many$$. Goood Luck and keep us posted!!:)
    Old 12-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
    If you decide to give it a try hand piecing, a good place to start might be the stained glass "cathedral" quilts since they really lend them selves to hand work and would tell you if this is something you will like, although once bitten I expect you will want to get a featherweight, since they are so cute, lightweight, portable and relatively affordable. Stay away from the cheap plastic stuff out there, you will be better off with a vintage singer and the initial investment not so many$$. Goood Luck and keep us posted!!:)
    Woah, that would not be my choice for a beginner project. You must have lots more patience than I. 8-) But then again, I'm only interested in hand applique if I cannot move, and then after about 15 minutes, I'm done! Not finished, just done. That pattern is too much like needleturn applique for me, and I admire anyone that can finish one.
    Stephanie
    ps: I totally agree about the vintage Featherweight, though.
    Old 12-10-2010, 07:09 AM

I dont' do anything by hand... I don't have the patience for that. I have a LA too just because dealing with a large quilt in my machine drives me nuts!
    Old 12-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Welcome from Iowa.