Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help with machine quilting >
  • help with machine quilting

• help with machine quilting

Old 03-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Here's a link to a quilt I just finished with a decorative stitch:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t242317.html

I used a walking foot and the serpentine stitch on my Brother XL2600i and it worked great. I did one line down the middle of the quilt and used my quilting guide that attaches to the side of my walking foot. I kept the quilting guide in the middle of the serpentine so that my next line would be straight. I did one whole side of the quilt and then turned the quilt around and did the other side.

I love the way it turned out, it was probably even a little easier than doing straight lines because if you got a little off, it is a lot harder to tell. Good luck!
    Old 03-22-2014, 02:45 PM

I ordered two walking feet. One has a single hole and the other one has the wider hole. So, when I want the decorative stitch on a quilt, I make sure to get the one with the wider hole. They are available for both the newer machines and the older ones.
    Old 03-22-2014, 02:58 PM
    Power Poster

Like Thimblebug says, a serpentine stitch would do well. it's an S stitch, meaning using your walking foot, slowly just move the quilt to the right and then to the left as you go along doing curved lines like an S. interesting look and decorative too. good luck.
    Old 03-23-2014, 12:50 PM

thank you so much for your suggestions. I will try to practice before I start to quilt
    Old 03-23-2014, 05:03 PM
    Power Poster

Donnai You need to have support for you quilt if you try especially to quilt a decorative stitch. You need support on you left side and behind the DSM otherwise the weight of the quilt is going to give you major problems.

FREE Quilting Newsletter