Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with making pattern from drawing? >
  • Help with making pattern from drawing?

• Help with making pattern from drawing?

Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I'd just take it to Kinko's and have them enlarge it to what size you want. Just my thought.
    I recently did a large applique quilt - 45" square. All I had was a pdf file to go from. I took it to Staples and they enlarged it and printed it out in black and white on 36" square paper. I was able to use it as a full size pattern. It was fantastic for lining things up as it had both a logo and lettering.
    Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by flyinggoose
    Greetings! I traditionally do block pieced and appliqued quilts, but wanted to try something new. I have a paper design/picture that is not geometric, i.e., it is not easy to measure and rotary cut. It fits on an 8 1/2" by 11" piece of paper, and I want to scale it up to be a pattern for a quilt: not blocks, but one single image. I am not sure what the best way to accomplish this is; I thought it might be possible through Electric Quilt 7, but I don't seem to see an option to input a scan and scale it. Is simple geometry (measuring and proportionally increasing size of pieces) the best way to go or is there some trick to this of which I am not yet aware?

Many thanks in advance for your guidance!
    Can you lay out an old sheet and try to transfer the lines as closely as possible onto the bigger medium? Perhaps get help from a friend and use a 12 ft. metal ruler to make your marks. You might then be able to take pieces of newspaper paper and copy the individual pieces------------remembering to leave the seam allowances. At least that is how I'd approach the pattern making.

If you're using a paper piecing technique, you could even use that sheet for one of your foundation pieces.
    Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 AM

I've been working on this for a long time, in between other projects and life! (Thanks for all of the suggestions...made paper pattern pieces and used those to decent effect.). I finally got it pieced and am working on the last pieces of appliqué. My next challenge is that I think the best way to handle the lettering and stars in the background is fabric paint. Is there a generally agreed-upon best paint for ease of use and permanence? Thanks!