Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help Me Decide..... >
  • Help Me Decide.....

• Help Me Decide.....

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 AM

Use them both. You can store stuff downstairs but keep the nicely lighted room upstairs for whatever you are currently working on.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:50 AM

I vote for staying on the main floor.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:09 AM

i would stay with the room with the natural light. Looks great!!
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 AM

I love your studio. I would definitely stay where you are and then maybe set up a storage area downstairs. Great dilemma to have!
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
    Okay. I am going to throw in some ideas. I moved my sewing room to the basement to become a sewing studio several years ago. I fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine. Now, I live alone with 2 large dogs, so I can be wherever I want. I had my basement finished off into a dream studio. I don't miss the sunlight; am too busy creating. I have lots of pot lights in the ceiling. I moved to this house to be done with stairs, but decided I wanted more sewing space. I will be 70 next month and my exercise is going up and down the stairs. I have posted pics before, but if you want I can post them again. I have just turned the GKs sleepover room into a quilting room with the new long arm quilting machine in there. If I need some light I just go upstairs and look out the window. As far as the permanence of the situation, that has to be your decision.
    OK!!! That is a beautiful studio! Holy cow. That is something to aspire to!!!!
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM

My thinking is a bit different. Would you enjoy painting and putting together a new quilt studio? If you would get a lot of pleasure from doing that, then you might want to go for it. You would have lots more space. Gran of 6's basement studio is beautiful, and the lighting looks wonderful. I wouldn't let the worry of how long you might be in the current house factor in too much.

Of course, I have a small room, and I like to paint and organize. I don't have a basement I could move to. Basements just aren't part of Texas homes. (I am sure there is a reason for that....) But if I could get a larger room, I would go for it.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 AM

These answers may help me in my similar dilemma. Although my sewing supplies are scattered all over the three story house, my primary sewing room is upstairs in a former guest room. I have one southeasterly window of which the drapes are almost always closed. This is my largest stash area, so I don't want to fade the fabrics with the flood of light. I use full spectrum florescent lighting, but open the drapes on rainy or cloudy days.

The question I have is to build a storage building for all the "stuff" in the basement, and consolidate my sewing down there, or build a sewing cottage. If I build a cottage, I want a small kitchen and laundry, suitable for hand dying, and half bath, which means a new drain field. However, everything would be in one place, on one level, (not 3) and I'd have natural light which seems to be important to the lot of you.

Thanks sunni for asking this question.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM

I'm planning to move into an apartment - sometime - and one of the requirements will be that it have windows like you have - so I can look out when I sew and enjoy the light. IMHO stay where you are.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM

My sewing room is in the basement with no natural light. I would dearly love a window, but there's no other option for me. If it were me, I'd keep the window.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM

I would stay with the natural light. Cellars and basements depress me.