Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help me please. >
  • Help me please.

• Help me please.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 AM

Could you please help me with the quilting? I assembled all the blocks including the borders and the back side. I don't know how to do the quilting. I tried to quilt several lines, then it was inflated on the back side and the edges became uneven (wavering). I ripped the quilt off and quilted again, resulted the same. Still unsuccessfull after 3 attemps. I am so frustrated.( I am thinking of giving it away to my nephew without quilting, he does not understand, he will love the skull anyway). :cry: :cry: :D :-D :-D
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-62416.jpe   attachment-62417.jpe  
    Old 01-05-2010, 04:20 AM

When you layout the backing of the quilt, be sure to tape or clamp it so it is stretched very smooth and tightly. I lay mine on the floor and tape it. Some ladies have big tables and can clamp it to the table.

Lay the batting on top of the back and make certain it is smooth. I tape my batting to the floor, too. Some ladies use a spray on basting product.

Lay on the top and smooth it out. Then you need to baste it all together. I use safety pins. LOTS and LOTS. Some people baste with needle and thread, others use the spray basting.

If you get it all smooth and tight before you quilt, it should work OK.
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 AM

Don't give up! are you quilting in on a machine/frame?
    Lisa gave the instrucions..
    are you using a walking foot? they will keep the layers together..
    tell us more, so we can figure out what is happening..
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:29 AM
    Power Poster

I also pin about 1/4" from all edges and quilt up to about 1/2" from the pins - makes it easier to hand sew the binding on. Don't give up - keep trying !!!
    Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 AM

You've done a great job! It looks in the picture like you might have already put the binding on? If that's the case, I would probably use pearl cotton or embroidery thread to tie the quilt, rather than quilt the quilt. Would be easier, faster, and still give you the satisfaction of completing the quilt.
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by renee765
    You've done a great job! It looks in the picture like you might have already put the binding on? If that's the case, I would probably use pearl cotton or embroidery thread to tie the quilt, rather than quilt the quilt. Would be easier, faster, and still give you the satisfaction of completing the quilt.
    I also saw that maybe you have the binding on. If you do you can never get it right unless you do as renee765 says. It is fast and makes the quilt softer. Backs have to be stretched taut,batting on then smoothed as good as possible then top smoothed and either pinnned like the back or use guilting glue or baste. Now this is if you are on the floor like I do. Some do it on a table top. But I don't have one I can do that on. If it was me I would just tie it. lot of work taking binding off. Your work is fantastic. Don't let this discourage you.
    BillsBonBon
    Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM

If you want a quick easy way to keep it together you could always tie it.
    Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 AM
    Power Poster

What batting are you using? The higher loft the batting, the more difficult it is to quilt. Also, cotton batting is easier to use than polyester because cotton batting "sticks" better to the fabric. A widely available, easy cotton batting to use is Warm n Natural. It allows quilting to be far apart also.

If you are doing straight-line quilting, use a walking foot. This helps keep the layers from shifting on you as you quilt.

For me, spray basting is the best way to keep the sandwich stable as you quilt. It is fast, too. 505 is the best, but other brands in quilt stores are okay too. Just be sure to spray baste in a well-ventilated area, and put a large sheet underneath to catch overspray (toss in washer afterwards). In addition to spray basting, to be sure the quilt edges don't start wavering, pin along the edges every 4 to 6 inches. Use the "search" function at the top of the web page to find threads with detailed explanations of how to spray baste a quilt.

On your design, if you are doing stitch-in-the-ditch, I would do the center line first from top to bottom, then the center line from side to side. (I would work from one edge to the other so there are no thread ends to bury.) Work out from the center one line at a time, alternating top/bottom and side/side directions.
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    When you layout the backing of the quilt, be sure to tape or clamp it so it is stretched very smooth and tightly. I lay mine on the floor and tape it. Some ladies have big tables and can clamp it to the table.

Lay the batting on top of the back and make certain it is smooth. I tape my batting to the floor, too. Some ladies use a spray on basting product.

Lay on the top and smooth it out. Then you need to baste it all together. I use safety pins. LOTS and LOTS. Some people baste with needle and thread, others use the spray basting.

If you get it all smooth and tight before you quilt, it should work OK.
    Good advice.
    Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM
    Power Poster

Hon, I would hand tie this one too :wink:
    On your next quilt, the binding should go on last. That way your quilt will be able to lay flatter when you baste it and your quilting will go much easier and nicer for you.

It is a awesome quilt, and it will look great hand tied too!!! :D:D:D