Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help me please >
  • Help me please

• Help me please

Old 11-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by wolfkitty
    Fold opposite corners together to make a triangle - that will tell you where you are off. If it's square, all the sides will match up. Fold again to give yourself a smaller block to work with. I think you would have cutting edges together, but it's late and I'm not sure. (3 a.m. here)
    Anyone, please jump in here if I am steering her wrong.
    This also makes sense to me. Guess I was having a senior moment yesterday when trying to figure this out...and I didn't want to mess up DGD first quilt by having it come out "cockeyed". :-) You gals are great! Thank you!!
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by smitty
    Originally Posted by Randa
    Originally Posted by magpie
    How large is your cutting mat? Use the lines on it.
    And do I just pick any edge as my straight edge and cut anything outside the 20 1/2" square?
    you will probably need to take a little off all the edges. you need to find a way to press or chalk mark the diagonal. then use that line, not the edge of the block. or you can use a straight seam line & measure from that all directions. man, the more I type, the more complicated I am making it. start with the smallest block & make them all that size, unless you will lose points. you may need to make another block or two to get enough sized ones.
    guess I would measure 10 1/4" from the center to each edge. you would be working in quandrants. that way, you could use a smaller (12 1/2 ") square ruler. this is probably the biggest block you will ever need to square !
    While this seems complicated I understand the concept and like working in quadrants. Makes it more manageable. So if I go to either seam...vertical or horizontal, they should should be straight. The diamond shape block in the center is on point and that is what needs to be straight or will give the "cockeyed" look to the block. But am also matching seams in other blocks on top/bottom and sides. Think I bit off more than I can chew?? :roll: Won't be the first time! Thank you so much for your help!!
    Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 AM

Great post! Good information from all for all.
    Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 AM

This a good place to use freezer paper. Cut it into right size square and iron on block. Cut off extra. Of course make sure you center paper on block. If you don't get it too hot it sticks but comes right off.

I don't think I would fold the block because folds can distort the fabric.

I also use the lines on my mat for larger squares.