Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help me see this from another perspective, please >
  • help me see this from another perspective, please

• help me see this from another perspective, please

Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM

I'd be looking for the head cheese and asking why you can't at least get a note that your gift had arrived. And it's not even about getting "thanks". You need to know if the gift arrived in one piece.
    Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by paulina
    Some different perspectives.....well, I don't know who the organization is but it could be that they are just slammed with work right now and it just isn't practical for them to stop and email every person that sends in a donation. Charity groups usually aren't exactly overstaffed, you know?

Also you commented that you were upset that you took the time to get to the post office and get them there. Is that not part of what you committed to do back in October? You were slow in meeting your commitment so maybe cut them some slack that they may have been running slow in responses?

Also consider if you truly just wanted to know if they arrived or if you really wanted some gratitude. Of if you wanted a formal thank you just as a matter of etiquette. There is no "wrong" answer.

Not saying I agree with any of the above necessarily but you asked from some different perspectives. I would recommend just trying to accept that they are probably over worked and if they have a lot of donations coming in right now I don't it should be a mark against them that they aren't sending out emails to every person who donates when something is received. And remember that no matter what, you are helping someone in need, gifting someone in need. Minor foibles in the organization don't change your good acts.

If she were dealing with a couple potholders, I'd say the group being too busy to acknowledge the gift might float. But, two quilts deserve some time.
    Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Thank you everyone. I will see how I feel in the future about sending to this woman again. Thank you all for your replies. It did help.
    Old 01-17-2012, 01:38 PM

They may have just gotten behind but I like to know my quilts are received, even when I participate in a swap. With that said I would look for a place closer to home to make quilts for. Mailing quilts costs so much today that the postage money would be better spent on quilting supplies to make more charity quilts. This year I'm only making quilts for my Guild's Outreach Program for local people in need.
    Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM

To change the subject a little. I am still waiting for a Thank You for a wedding gift I mailed 2 yrs ago and gave one in person in Nov. One year I mailed one for a June wedding and got a thank you in Dec. I know brides are busy getting ready for a wedding or enjoying life as married but if I took the time to buy and mail a gift I EXPECT a thank you. Do I call family and ask "Did you get my gift"? They seem to have time to go scan in gift registries.
    Old 01-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
    Or, better yet, how about a stamped and addressed postcard that she can just stick in the mail? That way she wouldn't have to go to her computer and email you. She can just toss the postcard in the outgoing mail.
    i think this is a great suggestion if this is important to you... i knit helmet liners for a long time and told them with each box, not to bother responding as i did not want them to take money to mail me something or time to email me something... these organizations are all run by volunteers, taking time from their families and for their own donor activities to do what needs to be done... i would rather they use that 5 minutes in some other way and certainly that 44 cents is better spent in mailing things on to the recipients. just do the postcard and then you will know and she will not be using volunteer funds to mail something to you.
    Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
    To change the subject a little. I am still waiting for a Thank You for a wedding gift I mailed 2 yrs ago and gave one in person in Nov. One year I mailed one for a June wedding and got a thank you in Dec. I know brides are busy getting ready for a wedding or enjoying life as married but if I took the time to buy and mail a gift I EXPECT a thank you. Do I call family and ask "Did you get my gift"? They seem to have time to go scan in gift registries.
    the good news is that the brides DO HAVE one year to get all their thank yous done.... and I have finally given up on young people sending thank yous or even calling or emailing...but let's face it...we didn't teach them that or they would know...
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM

There are a lot of organizations that are that bad..or worse...about letting you know things arrived safely. I'm still waiting to hear if my quilts for Japan got there! (as well as a couple of other places...I also asked for some extra labels from Quilts for Kids and no one bothered to answer, so guess what? I found another place to give back to!) I realize that those organizations are often short-handed, but the least they could do is email you an answer to your question...and no, I'm not looking for kudos either, just confirmation that things got where they were supposed to be! I too am one of those blessed and a believer in giving back...but it sure is difficult sometimes!
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:52 AM
    Swap Hosts

Any charitable group should make it a firm practice to send thank you's promptly. At our church it often seems that only those who are prominent get thank you's and I frankly think it takes away from the generosity of others who are not so involved. You might want to take a little time away from the situation and then write a note telling them about the importance of saying thank you. Don't send it off right away, but let it sit a while. Look at it again to be sure it's not too snarky and adjust it if you must. Or if you do want to be snarky, send them a package of thank you notes and tell them they must have run out! Don't let the rudeness of others muddy your kind heart.
    Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 AM

You were well within your boundaries for being upset, not knowing if those quilts had arrived or not. Two quilts constitutes quite an outlay of not only money, but precious time, which is sometimes harder to come by. I would not send anything to this organization again. Just my humble opinion.