Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help for a mistreated quilt? >
  • Help for a mistreated quilt?

• Help for a mistreated quilt?

Old 05-28-2011, 03:38 PM
    Power Poster

I know how upsetting it is when you put so many hours into it, I have had the same experience.It hurts but everyone doesn't treat them like you would want them too.
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:19 PM

Please, don't do or say anything that might jeopradise (sp?) your relationship with your children. That relationship is waaaay more valuable than any quilt...or anything at all.

I do appreciate your time and workmanship in this quilt and I'm so sorry that it has been abused. Be happy that they use it and I'm sure they love it. Go with the flow and don't give them another heirloom quality quilt. They probably will like the simple ones just as much.
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Rebecca VLQ has a really nice way of handling the situation. I found with my children that they had no appreciation of the work that goes into a quilt until they actually helped me work on one.

Now they really appreciate all the work that goes into them, and my daughter has just decided to start quilting. YEAHHH!!!

Try it out and let us know how it goes.
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:26 PM
    Power Poster

Don't know the answer

Perhaps we should give people "starter quilts" to see how they treat them before they get one of our heirloom ones?
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM

If they are using this quilt on their bed chances are that the cat is sleeping with them pawing the quilt of a night time. It happens to my quilt (made by me) all the time. A quick run through the washer and drier "removes" the holes.
    If the quilt is already showing wear after a year and a half chances are there is more of a problem with the fabric then the way they are treating the quilt, unless they use it as a car mat in the garage or driveway!
    Now I will say that I don't think there is an even medium here. people either want their gifted quilts to be put up and never used, or they want them to be used until there is nothing left of them. For those that do not want a quilt used maybe adding a hanging sleeve to the quilted gift would be a great idea. This way the gift recipient knows that it is NOT to be used.

Good luck at the show!
    Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 PM

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but you gave them the quilt to use and they have done just that. It's been in use for a year and a half, not hidden in a closet, not hung on the wall, but used on their bed...of course it's going to feel "worn".

If you feel it's still worthy of entering in a show, then it can't be even close to being in the 'abused' category. So show it, if that's what you want, and then when you return it to them afterwards, thank them very much for letting you borrow their quilt for the month or so you had it and tell them you're glad they enjoy it so much. Period.

There is absolutely nothing that is worth the risk of driving a wedge between you and your children. Not one single thing.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
    Power Poster

You don't need to use vinegar in the wash although it wouldn't hurt anything (and is often used in the rinse cycle). I would take the quilt to a laundromat and use their largest front-loading machine. Orvus is a very gentle soap to use. It's actually horse shampoo and a lot cheaper if purchased at Fleet Farm or other farm supply store than in a quilt shop.

I believe the vinegar would be used on a white towel and rubbed across the cat claw holes to close them.
    Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Thank you everyone of you for letting me vent. This quilt is absolutely not worth ruining our relationship, that was never an issue. The only thing I was thinking about is that I know at my age there is some perspective that I have that they don't. Someday, 20 years from now they may regret not having taken better care of this quilt. If they are loving it to death, and are reminded how much I love them everytime they see it on their bed, then that is what I made it for. If they hate it and have given it to the cat for a bed, well, then I wish they would put it away for one of their kids (expecting their first) someday. I don't think it has been abused, I was just shocked at how worn it looks, so soon, and I wanted your help to know what I might do to be able to put it in the show. All the fabric I used in it is top quality quilt shop brand fabric.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:48 AM

Good luck with the show. I also don't think it's been mistreated. Their cats probably sleep with them. The only "solution" would be for them to stop sleeping with the cats, which I don't think is appropriate. The obviously love your quilt and use it nightly.

Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that age automatically gives you wisdom. They may feel the same way you do, which is why the quilt is used.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 AM

OK, settle down.
    #1 The quilt belongs to them now and they are free to do what they want with it (as much as you might not like it)
    #2 Maybe asking to display it in a show wasn't such a good idea
    sounds like you and the new couple have differing views on quilting (no quilts for them in the future, pehaps a gift certificate).
    #3 Thank them for lending you the quilt and return it to them(without any editorial comment about the way they abused it)
    #4 Dial your computer brain back to the time before you knew how "your" quilt be bing abused by a cat. You've got to find a way to move on, because I don't share my Prozac with anyone, even dear ladies of the board.
    It'll get better, it always does.