Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help for a mistreated quilt? >
  • Help for a mistreated quilt?

• Help for a mistreated quilt?

Old 05-29-2011, 05:26 AM

Roselady, I may be close to you! I have a front loading Maytag machine and could wash the quilt for you. PM me
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 AM

Another quilt can always be made, but a relationship cannot always be repaired.
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 AM

I really think the best way to give a quilt is also to NOT go to the people's homes to see what they do/don't do with them! I think most quilters are very sensitive people (God bless us all) and unless the quilts are treated exactly the way we would treat them, it hurts to see under use, over use.....so....I know we have to let them do what they want with them so don't put your heart into them unless you are giving it to another quilter!!!!! We quilters don't GET quilts and when I made one for my quilter friend, she glowed! She hung it on the wall and PETS it everyday as she passes it! Now, I get joy every day knowing she loves it every day. (I do like the idea of giving a practice quilt to see how they treat it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......great idea.)
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:51 AM

The rest of us seem to think you gave the quilt to your son & Daughter-in-law as a gift. That makes it their quilt now, to use as they see fit. You need to let go. Life will go on. Just because you give a gift does not mean you get to dictate what the recipient does with it. If you think you are unhappy now about the quilt, you will be devastated when they stop talking to you if you persue the issue about the quilt with them. Just say thank you and let go.
    Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 AM

It is so hard to give a gift and then find out it is being mistreated. We have the saying that once it is given away you have no say about what is done with it. I gave my daughter and son-in-law a beautiful irish chain quilt when they got married and they use it daily on their bed. The dog sleeps on top of the quilt all the time. When I said something they told me that the dog was like one of their kids. I just said ok and dropped it. I will give them another quilt when and if I can. Keeping the relationship good is the important thing. You can always make another quilt.
    Old 05-29-2011, 09:41 AM

"Rebecca VLQ" - you should be president or at least Sec. of State, Defense, etc.... WHAT A GREAT DIPLOMAT YOU ARE!!!!!!!! So true and worded perfectly...

I hope "roselady" does well with the lessons.

(Will keep that vinegar treatment, of Tonie Loree's, in mind for the future!!!)
    Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

I gave my son and his bride a hand quilted nylon tricot quilt (many, many hours of quilting on this queen size quilt) done in the bride's wedding colors of burgandy and mauve. (Never did see it on their bed) Anyway, several months back I saw it in garage in a heap (they are now divorced). Asked him what it was doing there and he said it was a gift for our wedding and I am no longer married to her and besides it is "pink" - not my colors. Well, I retrieved the quilt and washed it up. It will stay in my house protected until I die. Son may not want it but perhaps his daughters will cherish it one day.
    Old 05-29-2011, 12:51 PM

I know when you give a quilt away, it is no longer yours but to see it in such bad shape it so sad. When I was a quilt, which isn't often, I take it to the laundromat and use their triple size and I put in a color grabber or two or more depending on the color of the quilt. I use cold water and Woolite or a specialty soap for washing quilts. I then take it home(wet) and hang it over my outdoor lines and cover it with a sheet so (1) it won't fade, and (2) the birds don't poop on it. and let it line dry. They turn out really nice. You might need to do a light pressing to get it looking new. Good luck and let us know how it turned out, please. Jan
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Baloonatic
    Roselady, I may be close to you! I have a front loading Maytag machine and could wash the quilt for you. PM me
    Thank you so much for that offer! It sounds like you are on the coast, I am in the valley, probably 2 or 3 hours away. I stopped at the laundramat today and checked out the machines. They do have a gentle cycle on their front loading machines, so I will take it there. It is really sweet of you to offer.
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
    Christmas of 2009, I gave my son and new DIL a quilt, their wedding quilt actually, which I knew couldn't be completed by their wedding a year earlier, for reasons I won't go into here. Anyway, our local quilt show is in a month, and I was planning to enter their quilt, which I had asked them about when I gave them the quilt, and they were fine with that. I just got it back so I could put a sleeve on it. I can't believe the shape it is in. It has hundreds of cat claw holes in it and just looks and feels "worn". It is a large queen size, so washing it in my washer isn't practical. I have heard horror stories about taking quilts to the cleaners. I really don't know what to do. Any advise would be so helpful. I am also considering whether or not I should say something to them about it. I realize that it is their quilt, that they can use however they want to, but, I guess I want to try to explain how much it might really come to mean to them in the future ( if it survives). I don't have a family quilt, and I know how much I would treasure something from my mom or grandma. They are young and probably just see it as a "blanket". BTW this quilt is my own design with hand applique, some hand quilting, it took hundreds of hours, not a throw together quilt that I will do again anytime soon. I don't want to hurt our relationship over this, though.
    I haven't been to a laundramat in years but they used to have an extra large capacity washer that I used for such things.