Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help for a mistreated quilt? >
  • Help for a mistreated quilt?

• Help for a mistreated quilt?

Old 05-28-2011, 01:59 PM

Christmas of 2009, I gave my son and new DIL a quilt, their wedding quilt actually, which I knew couldn't be completed by their wedding a year earlier, for reasons I won't go into here. Anyway, our local quilt show is in a month, and I was planning to enter their quilt, which I had asked them about when I gave them the quilt, and they were fine with that. I just got it back so I could put a sleeve on it. I can't believe the shape it is in. It has hundreds of cat claw holes in it and just looks and feels "worn". It is a large queen size, so washing it in my washer isn't practical. I have heard horror stories about taking quilts to the cleaners. I really don't know what to do. Any advise would be so helpful. I am also considering whether or not I should say something to them about it. I realize that it is their quilt, that they can use however they want to, but, I guess I want to try to explain how much it might really come to mean to them in the future ( if it survives). I don't have a family quilt, and I know how much I would treasure something from my mom or grandma. They are young and probably just see it as a "blanket". BTW this quilt is my own design with hand applique, some hand quilting, it took hundreds of hours, not a throw together quilt that I will do again anytime soon. I don't want to hurt our relationship over this, though.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 PM

I am so sorry that your quilt is not in very good condition. It is possible that it was so well loved that they used it on their bed all the time or something like that.

If you have a front loader, or know someone with a Front loading washer, you can wash it in there. I have a Large Front Loader and I can throw a queen size quilt in there to wash it.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM

Take it to a laundromat and use their huge front loading washers. Sorry the quilt was abused. Using white vinegar on a white terry cloth towel solves many needle holes in the garment manufacturing industry. Picture your mouth taking a sip of vinegar; "pucker up"! That is what the fabrics reaction is too. Just be sure to check for color fastness first. I've never had a problem at all.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:11 PM

Well.

If it is a quilt that was made to survive the test of time and be an heirloom, this little "incident" with the cat being all scratchy on it shouldn't have permanently damaged it. Broken it in early, yes. But...quilts last for 20-30-40 years, right? I know you've put a lot of hard work into it. I'm hoping you used your very best fabrics to take a bit of a beating. :D

Go ahead and wash it. Front loader sounds great, less likely to get all twisted up like a top loader. Maybe even spend a day at the laundrymat to use one of their jumbo ones.

THEN...after you do all the quilt show stuff...perhaps you can make a quick coordinating sashing for where the cat does it's clawing? Like, do not spend a ton of time on it...muslin back, coodinating color front, birth that sucker and put some pretty edging on it. Why? Well....here's why:

Return their quilt to them and thank them for letting you borrow it for the show. Let them know that you washed it on GENTLE and TUMBLE DRIED it so you could spiff it up for the show, but so's not to **do any damage** (see where I'm going?). Then tell them you whipped up the drape (I don't really know what this is called...all the fancy schmantzy hotels use them) because you noticed the kitty had done a little scratching. Then say something about it would be MUCH easier to replace (the drape) than the entire quilt...since some of it is HAND DONE and took many hours.

Somehow work in how much you loved working on the quilt, and you're so glad that they use it every day. And how you want them to be able to use it for a long, long time. (Because you do!)
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Take it to a laundromat and use their huge front loading washers. Sorry the quilt was abused. Using white vinegar on a white terry cloth towel solves many needle holes in the garment manufacturing industry. Picture your mouth taking a sip of vinegar; "pucker up"! That is what the fabrics reaction is too. Just be sure to check for color fastness first. I've never had a problem at all.
    Can you explain a little more, do I put vinegar in the wash? Thanks.
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Well much depends on the relationship with your son and DIL.........and considering it was given to them and sounds like they did use it alot, its done.......the laundrymat and the front loader is a good idea too....
    ...If it were me I sould consider making smaller items the next time....for example Christmas stockings......pillows......small table toppers; perhaps placemats.........in my opinion if folks don't sew or craft when they receive something I have made they just don't have any idea how much effort and time goes into it. Its not their fault, and they seem to be appreciative upon receiving it at the time...........calla
    Old 05-28-2011, 02:59 PM

how awful, I am so sorry, you should speak to them, they did not treat that speical quilt with more love, I don't keep a quilt on my bed due to my cat, and occaisonly the dog. my friends and daughter and grandchildren treat my quilts with great respect and have a speical closet just for these gifts of love. yes they do use them all there beds have a quilt on them and there changed out frequently , recently her g/f was abused and called my daughter the first thing she did was wrap her in one of my quilts. enough of my quilts.
    Old 05-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Sad.
    Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Quite honestly, if it doesn't come back to me used and abused I get a little offended. With that said I've only ever done one piece I consider to be show worthy and am a little heart sick knowing that the white will eventually be a rainbow of puke and kool-aid colors.

but it's loved, and in the end is all that matters I suppose.
    Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM

I haven't given appliqued quilts to anyone yet for that reason. It would really upset me to se them ruined somehow.