Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help, my machine is sick! >
  • Help, my machine is sick!

• Help, my machine is sick!

Old 09-18-2015, 05:59 AM
    Power Poster

You still have to maintain the NEW cheap machine. I didn't feel like sewing the other day but wanted to clean to minimalize so I cleaned my machines. One of the tools I always have on hand is a small round mirror with a telescopic handle and on the other end is a magnet. This helps find stray lint. If I can't reach it with a sewing machine brush, I use a pipe cleaner a.k.a. chenille wire. One thing I love about my 401 in the desk cabinet is I can put it away into the cabinet and set my other machine on top and use it for piecing. Just takes couple minutes to change.
    Originally Posted by krafty14
    Maybe because, after 2 maintenance visits, you could buy a NEW cheap machine!
    Old 09-18-2015, 06:08 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe it isn't supposed to be moved manually. Some consider it forceful moving.
    Originally Posted by pyffer3
    Ok.....I took everything apart last night. Saw a video on You Tube. Bobbin cover off, large plastic piece slid off, bobbin holder popped right out, took coins to unscrew the two screws holding the metal plate. Took off needle, took off presser foot holder. Totally open. Took brush to inside and scooped out even more lint (between the two cleanings I think there was enough lint to stuff a small toy) took alcohol on q-tip to feed dogs and wiped them down. Put everything back on, even a new needle, a different bobbin of thread, and a different spool of thread. Now it feels tight when I manually move the needle, like it doesn't want to go. I haven't tried sewing yet because it is so tight feeling. Very frustrating!
    My needle won't move easily unless the machine is on. Everything has to be engaged.

Last edited by tessagin; 09-18-2015 at 06:23 AM.
    Old 09-18-2015, 09:44 PM

I have a brother and every once in a while I have to oil it around the bobbin area. Check and see if there is any place you can put a drop or two of oil around the motor area. I know most manuals say no need to oil, but I have always oiled my machines and they seem to sew forever. I didn't pay all that much for my machine either but I keep it in good shape anyway and have never had a problem when I oil it. Just make sure you sew a piece of scrap fabric so any extra oil comes off on the scrap and not the nice fabric you are using for a project.
    Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 PM

Have a go with electric on. If you are worried about oiling try sewers aid instead which lasts ages only a pin head drop or less .
    i have a similar problem to the stiff needle when using invisible thread. What happens is the thread wraps too tightly around the spool and doesn't flow freely. I have too stop and release check there is no tightness there.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 09-18-2015 at 10:00 PM.
    Old 09-18-2015, 10:26 PM

Have you piled the machine? I don't just put oil in the ports, I oil everything that moves while the machine is apart - except the parts that need grease on the vintage machines, of course.
    Old 09-19-2015, 05:59 AM

If you took the bobbin case out, not the bobbin, but what it sits in, maybe you didnt put it back in "just right".... I did that once....

Lesson learned ( hopefully)........clean the lint out more than once every six months!
    Old 09-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Geri B - you win! I was away for the weekend which was good as it recharged my mind! I came back and looked it over and sure enough I gad inserted the bobbin case just a bit off and screwed down the plate so it wouldn't move. I fixed it and also figured that I need to hold the threads when I first start as that has been a clumping problem too...that made a difference. Thanks for all the advice. I am so glad I joined this board. Helpful people that are non-judgmental.