Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help need an idea for quilt meeting demo. >
  • Help need an idea for quilt meeting demo.

• Help need an idea for quilt meeting demo.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Another one I have done is going to the dollar store and buying items that would be wonderful items to use in quilting. Once you label something specifically for quilting, it always seems like the price goes up! So, I went in and bought $20 worth of items and showed how they could be used.
    Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Trunk shows, if you don't have enough items, borrow from your quilting friends. You can show small items, wall quilts, doll quilts, hot pads, table runners, purses, book covers, baby quilts, bed size quilts, mug rugs, placemats, etc. I think all quilters welcome new ideas for family and for gifts.
    Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Dimensional bow tie, mock cathedral window, pinwheel within a pinwheel, candle mat, I have to have something every month for my quilt club, so I sometimes run out of ideas myself. I just ask them what they would like to learn.
    Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by GGinMcKinney
    How to end binding smoothly. I always need a refresher.
    Also, Ricky Tims has a video on you tube.com on how to make a one seam flying geese quilt block. I practice with paper.
    You could cut out the paper so they could practice along as you demo. It is really simple and makes a no fail flying geese with plenty of space for the 1/4" seam.
    Is there a non-video tute for this project: my dial-up is not video friendly
    Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Just Me...
    Another one I have done is going to the dollar store and buying items that would be wonderful items to use in quilting. Once you label something specifically for quilting, it always seems like the price goes up! So, I went in and bought $20 worth of items and showed how they could be used.
    Sounds fun! Ideas, please?
    Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 PM

At my guild someone did a demo on 'snap' bags using the metal measuring tape. It was a real success--fast and easy.
    Old 05-06-2011, 12:53 AM

How about "All about Borders?" Choosing fabric, determining width, 1 border or 2? Mitering the corners. All the different methods of doing a border. If doing a border of pieced blocks, making it fit, etc. Different looks of an envelope finish, binding, or bringing the backing to the front.
    Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM

If you do FMQ maybe showing how you can show how a design with minky on the back turns out.
    Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM

My last one was from Edita Sitar's Friendship Strips and Scraps book. She recommends a swap of strips and scraps among members. I made a couple of samples from the book, and everybody loved it.
    My WISH for a lesson, but I didn't have time to pull it together is a "border style show". Make one big block, then "audition" different types of borders, from simple, to pieced, to appliqued. I know many times when I get a quilt body done, I just throw on a couple of simple borders to have it DONE. But sometimes when I look at a quilt magazine the thing that attracts me is the borders! It would just make people think about spending more time on a border to really accentuate the quilt!!
    Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 AM

I went to our local quilt guild meeting last night and it was brought home to me (again) that there are geniuses in our midst. A lady from about 60 miles away came and did the most awesome trunk show. A sweet gray haired farmer's wife. Who knew?? She is the master of embellishment and one of her quilts won Best of Show at the Nebraska Quilt Show in Lincoln. So you don't really have to hire expensive national or international teachers if your guild can't afford it. Make use of the talent in your own area. Sometimes we overlook the gems in our midst!