Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs >
  • Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs

• Help with New machine...9mm feed dogs

Old 10-24-2010, 03:17 PM

I recently got an ABM Innova 18". I am very much in the beginning learning phase. I attended the Beginning Longarm Retreat in Spring, TX and learned so much. I have had very little time since getting back home to put to use what I learned.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM

I wonder if I would be better off with the Bernina Artista 630?? hmmmm
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:35 PM

Just my opinion, but I really like the 5.5 mm feed-dog more than the 9mm. I can't remember which the 630 has, but if embroidery is important to you I think it has the same embroidery unit. When I decided to sell my 730e my husband was very, very upset with me. He told me the he was the most upset he had been since he could remember, we have been married 32 years. So I had him sit down and use both machines, afterward he came to the same conclusion that the Bernina 230PE was better for piecing. I also had him play with the BSR, I had thought I would quilt with it but decided I would never get the hang of it, he didn't like the BSR either. Not wanting to offend anyone, just my opinion.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Yes Im not that into embroidery yet (but could be in the future) but I know I am into quilting and garments. I liked the 440 QE but liked the bells and whistles on the 730e. The 630 does have the 5mm feed dogs. Guess I need to go back and really try out the machines again. Thanks alot for your input and glad to know you like the 230PE. That one seemed almost too small to FMQ on though...so many decisions!!!

Originally Posted by lvaughan
    Just my opinion, but I really like the 5.5 mm feed-dog more than the 9mm. I can't remember which the 630 has, but if embroidery is important to you I think it has the same embroidery unit. When I decided to sell my 730e my husband was very, very upset with me. He told me the he was the most upset he had been since he could remember, we have been married 32 years. So I had him sit down and use both machines, afterward he came to the same conclusion that the Bernina 230PE was better for piecing. I also had him play with the BSR, I had thought I would quilt with it but decided I would never get the hang of it, he didn't like the BSR either. Not wanting to offend anyone, just my opinion.
    Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 PM

The 230 is a smaller machine, it has now been replaced with the 300 series.
    Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM

I have a Bernina with the 9mm feed dogs and love it. It is more versatile and I have no trouble with the 1/4" seam. I use a 1/4" foot. I leave the wider plate on so I can move the needle if I want to. I think the name of my Bernina is the 430QE but with the 9mm feed dogs. It makes beautiful decorative stitching. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 9mm again.
    Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 AM

Is it the 450? Seems majority says no probs...I think I will go back to the store (3 hours away!!) and sample it out some more. At the quilters convention it didnt seem like a problem and the Bernina sales lady was like, no problem just move the needle a bit. Then I got home and realized if I moved the needle I would have to switch out the straight stitch plate...a hassle but I guess not impossible! Thanks for the replies again!
    Originally Posted by fish92241
    I have a Bernina with the 9mm feed dogs and love it. It is more versatile and I have no trouble with the 1/4" seam. I use a 1/4" foot. I leave the wider plate on so I can move the needle if I want to. I think the name of my Bernina is the 430QE but with the 9mm feed dogs. It makes beautiful decorative stitching. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 9mm again.
    :wink:
    Old 10-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by fish92241
    I agree - 9mm is no problem at all with either plate.