Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help Old dog needs to learn new tricks >
  • Help Old dog needs to learn new tricks

• Help Old dog needs to learn new tricks

Old 10-07-2018, 05:15 PM
    Power Poster

I haven't read all the other comments, so hope I am not repeating. Also, I am not familiar with Jo Morton's quilts. From Googling, I assume they are normal pieced quilts (not miniatures). If so, my comments should be relevant.

Being exactly on grain is not all that important in quilting. You can be slightly off-grain cutting without affecting the quilt. If you want insurance, you can heavily starch your fabric before cutting. Starch stabilizes the fabric so that the pieces (especially the edges) are less likely to stretch or distort with the handling involved in piecing.
    Old 10-07-2018, 10:35 PM

I've never worried about being on the straight of grain either. I just make sure that my fabric is somewhat slack when sewing and I press rather than iron, all to avoid stretching. It works. I do sometimes tear an edge of my fabric if there's no way I can get the selvage edges to meet otherwise and if I can spare the inches.

Quilting is about scraps and scraps aren't perfect.

I learned to piece first by hand, and yes it's so wonderful how precise that can be. Our teacher for my first (and only) quilting class was not as worried about being on grain (just try to be as close as possible), and our quilts were great. I remember her focus on NOT getting too concerned if things weren't perfect, that they will all be beautiful in the end. I take that with me today. And looking at some of the quilts that I hated then because of imperfections, but feel a bit sentimental about now, I definitely think she was right.
    Old 10-08-2018, 03:09 AM

Having learned to sew --probably about the same time as many others on this board and in 4-H--and the "strict" rules of garment construction, a bunch of what we find commonplace in today's quilting methods simply "goes against the grain", doesn't it?!
    Old 10-08-2018, 06:10 PM

Perfection is alright if it doesn't become an obstacle to creativity and enjoyment in the quilting process.
    Old 10-09-2018, 06:59 AM

I haven't done much hand piecing, but have read Jinny Beyer's book; I'm not sure my arthritic fingers will every be able to extensively hand piece, but it's something I'd love to become adept at. I don't think machine piecing can be as precise as hand piecing, where you control the placement of every single stitch. Maybe consider that you're giving up some precision to gain some speed. I hope you can eventually find some satisfaction in your machine piecing!
    Old 10-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
    Having learned to sew --probably about the same time as many others on this board and in 4-H--and the "strict" rules of garment construction, a bunch of what we find commonplace in today's quilting methods simply "goes against the grain", doesn't it?!
    I really had to laugh at your comment.
    Old 10-09-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jkstein
    Thanks for the help! I was looking at Jo Mortons first book on small quilts --When you machine piece you don't have the freedom with what directions all of your seams can be pressed. I see Jo snips some of her seams clear to the stitching line . Ugh That would make me nervous as to the strength of the seam being impaired. I always heard that your quilt is as good as the weakest thread. These quilter nowadays don't seem to care if they backstitch at the beginning and the end of a seam to lock the thread. I want things good and sturdy. I was at my quilt store the other day and there was a quilt hanging within reach and I felt of it and after being quilted it was pretty stiff. Any advice to getting a nice cozy feeling hugable quilt?
    The only time I backstitch is when mitering a corner. The other seams are being crossed with stitching so don't require backstitching.

Cozy feeling huggable quilts are achieved by letting some of the quilt not being quilted. If every square inch is quilted the batting doesn't have a chance to keep you warm because it is all compacted.