Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help, Overwhelmed but Happy! >
  • Help, Overwhelmed but Happy!

• Help, Overwhelmed but Happy!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM

What a great find at a garage sale. You are so lucky. Have fun with all the new fabric. As for the strips etc, I would sew them before I washed. If there is a strip you think may run, put the end of it into fairly hot water then onto a white paper towel. If it is going to bleed it should show on the paper towel. Hope that helps.
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:26 PM

You definitly hit the jackpot!!!! I get so frustrated when I look at the classifieds for yard sale ads and they say lots of material or quilt and sewing supplies and you get there and they dont have anything. I went to a sale a couple of weeks ago and the ad said "lots of fabric" and when my mil and got there right after they opened the lady had about 10 pieces of fabric on a table and not one of them was even a yd. Grrrrr.....
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:27 PM

Another way to wash small pieces or pre-cuts is with a salad spinner. Soak the fabric pieces in hot water (in the sink) with a bit of soap. Smoosh them a bit to "agitate" drain, rinse thoroughly. then put in the salad spinner and spin out the excess water. Smooth out and by the time you get them all spun you can press them dry. Keeps from fraying and is fast.

Pati, in Phx
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    Okay ladies, I went to a garage sale and ended up with 4 bins of quilting fabric. I've washed 2 loads so far, of 1/2 yard to 3-4 yards of fabric. Now I've opened one containing cut pieces of 5" strips, 2 1/4" strips, and 2" squares.

My question is, can I wait to wash after my project is complete, or do I wash them now and end up with a bunch of strings to separate. :roll:

BTW, I actually felt guilty picking up all this fabric. I kept thinking about all the lovely quilts you ladies could make with this stash. Instead, it went to a newbie with only 2 completed tops under her belt. WooHooooooooooooooo!
    Can I ask how much you had to pay for your new instant stash? Looks like a lovely haul! Congrats!
    Sharon W.
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SuzanneTx
    What an awesome pile of stash. I wouldn't feel one bit guilty at all. Please enjoy and let us see what you make from it.

Suzanne
    Hi Suzanne,
    I'm another Texan, I'm in the Austin area.
    Sharon W.
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Wow what a wonderful find! Enjoy your new found fabrics. Maybe you could make something for a special child in your life using the Bugs Bunny fabric. Sherry
    Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM

I had a wonderful blessing like this not long after I started quilting. It was from an estate sale and I got it for 100.00 and besides boxs and boxs of material there were 13 rolls of batting and 25 spools of quilting thread. It was a Tahoe with seats laid flat and a Silverado truck packed full. Here is what someone told me to do and I did it with large pieces of fabric. Clip each corner of the selvage, just a little triangle shape piece. I dont know what this does but a whole machine load does not ravel. I have clothslines and I dried my fabric outdoors. It took me many days to get all of this washed, dried and folded. So very thankful.
    Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 PM

All I can say is WOW!!!!
    Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM

What a GREAT idea, Pati!

Sharyn
    Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
    Okay ladies, I went to a garage sale and ended up with 4 bins of quilting fabric. I've washed 2 loads so far, of 1/2 yard to 3-4 yards of fabric. Now I've opened one containing cut pieces of 5" strips, 2 1/4" strips, and 2" squares.

My question is, can I wait to wash after my project is complete, or do I wash them now and end up with a bunch of strings to separate. :roll:

BTW, I actually felt guilty picking up all this fabric. I kept thinking about all the lovely quilts you ladies could make with this stash. Instead, it went to a newbie with only 2 completed tops under her belt. WooHooooooooooooooo!
    Can I ask how much you had to pay for your new instant stash? Looks like a lovely haul! Congrats!
    Sharon W.
    4 bins @ $2.00 each. One even had unfinished projects including a ton of pre-cut squares, plus a crib size quilt that only needs binding, and some really nice silk.

I am one happy camper!