Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with paper piecing >
  • Help with paper piecing

• Help with paper piecing

Old 02-26-2018, 06:55 AM

Did you look under 8 point stars? I searched for hunter's block and found nothing, then just started clicking on all the libraries ... I was looking for something that at least looked like it, and I could fool around with it. I can't remember what it's called (and I'm not at home right now to look up), but it certainly wasn't called hunter's star ...

The one I am doing is a 12 inch block. I tried to do a 6 inch block, but I think I need to starch my fabric ... I can't get it to line up ... which is weird ... i

Good luck!
    Old 02-26-2018, 01:22 PM

Search the block library by notecard for "hunter". Sometimes EQ searches work better if you simplify your terms.

p.s. I just searched for "hunter's block" and got no returns. Changed my words to "hunter's star" and found 7 blocks. Changed to "hunter and got the same 7.

This is the same issue a lot of people have with the carpenter's wheel. Lots of people call it carpenter's star. Well, you won't find "carpenter's star" in the EQ library, but you will find 3 "carpenter's wheels", and you get the same 3 if you just search for "carpenter".

Last edited by Peckish; 02-26-2018 at 01:27 PM.
    Old 02-26-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts
    The one I am doing is a 12 inch block. I tried to do a 6 inch block, but I think I need to starch my fabric ... I can't get it to line up ... which is weird ..
    Are you paper-piecing it? The very first quilt I ever made was a paper-pieced hunter's star. When I took it in to be longarmed, the ladies in the shop were amazed that it was my first quilt and all the points were so well-matched. It's because it was paper-pieced.
    Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM

Peggi, can you show a pic of the block using your drawing? I made one block to see if I could do it and threw it away... was terrible!
    Old 02-26-2018, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kat13
    Peggi, can you show a pic of the block using your drawing? I made one block to see if I could do it and threw it away... was terrible!
    The same block pictured in post #6? That is the block, so what I think you're asking is what does it look like when it's assembled...?

This is a picture of 16 blocks, set 4 x 4. Does this help?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]589881[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2018-02-26-10.22.30-pm.png  
    Old 02-27-2018, 04:51 AM

I got impatient with EQ and just drew it myself yesterday. Managed to get that done, at least. I started with a 12 inch block but could not get edges of the quilt to look correct so changed it to a 9" block and the overall layout looks much better. I may play some more later this AM with the 12" block placement/rotation again since this is a king sized quilt and I'd really prefer to do fewer blocks if I can get away with that.

EQ also calculated the yardage at 14 5/8 yd/color for this king quilt. That seems overly excessive to me so I'll have to do some digging on that score as well.

But more importantly - thanks to this thread and a couple of others recently I'm getting my head back into the quilting game. Have not done any actual sewing or planning for quite a while now so thanks to all of you that helped in that process.
    Old 02-27-2018, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by dublb
    I would make your #2 & #4 as one big triangle & label it as #4. I would make your #3 into #1, your #1 into #2 & your #5 into #3. See if that works for ya.
    I agree. Seems to my, this would be the easy way.
    Old 03-07-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    Are you paper-piecing it? The very first quilt I ever made was a paper-pieced hunter's star. When I took it in to be longarmed, the ladies in the shop were amazed that it was my first quilt and all the points were so well-matched. It's because it was paper-pieced.
    Yes, I was. I only did two blocks. I tossed them, and will try again later