Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet >
  • Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet

• Help!! Pfaff passport and Bernina Barnnet

Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM
    Power Poster

I have a small vintage Bernina. It *does* have a really good stitch quality. I found mine at a thrift shop, minus the cord. I had to spend over $100 on eBay to get a replacement cord, but it was worth it to me. I have had vintage Singers also, and they are good, but in my opinion there's nothing like a vintage Bernina. I do think it helps a *lot* to have the clip-on table for a vintage Bernina, especially working with slippery fabrics like silk. Mine did not have that table, making the sewing surface very small.
    Old 07-28-2017, 03:26 PM

I checked both vintage Bernina and Singer on Google and Ebay. And oh my god! What a gem!!
    Singer 221 and 222k looks so cute and I feel like I can bring them to my studio or school. But 222k is super expensive! I fell in love with Bernina 530 and 730 Record. They both looks so beautiful and sturdy.
    I wonder their stitch qualities but when I see the sample stitches of vintage Bernina, it looks far way better than my friend's Plastic Singer and Brother. Really get impressed. I wonder how the stitches look like of Singer featherweight.

And Do you think I should buy walking foot for thin and tiny silk?
    Old 07-28-2017, 04:58 PM

Sometimes the quilt shows will have the major sewing machine companies there to show their machines. I found this map of Maryland with all the upcoming shows. http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.c...ows.php#August I know you don't have a car but perhaps you are close enough that you can get there with a bus.

Are you a member of a quilting guild where you are? Perhaps the guild will be taking a trip to the shows? https://www.quiltinghub.com/Find/Qui...ds/In/Maryland

Another website that has vintage sewing machines for sale is https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ The Featherweight is famous for its perfect stitches and portability.

Please feel free to post pictures of what you have made. We love to honor quiltmakers here!
    Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM
    Power Poster

I have both the small vintage Bernina I described earlier and a featherweight. Actually, I've owned several featherweights over the years. From my observations, the vintage Bernina has the best stitch -- by far. Be aware that some of the vintage Berninas are quite heavy. The small ones, though, are highly portable and little gems.
    Old 07-28-2017, 06:28 PM

You won't go wring with Pfaff. I sew for a bridal shop and we use Pfaff machines. The IDT or duel feed feature is wonderful with the sheer fabrics.
    Old 07-28-2017, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94
    Sometimes the quilt shows will have the major sewing machine companies there to show their machines. I found this map of Maryland with all the upcoming shows. http://www.quilterstravelcompanion.c...ows.php#August I know you don't have a car but perhaps you are close enough that you can get there with a bus.

Are you a member of a quilting guild where you are? Perhaps the guild will be taking a trip to the shows? https://www.quiltinghub.com/Find/Qui...ds/In/Maryland

Another website that has vintage sewing machines for sale is https://www.shopgoodwill.com/ The Featherweight is famous for its perfect stitches and portability.

Please feel free to post pictures of what you have made. We love to honor quiltmakers here!

Thanks for the information and links! I'll check them. It's so amazing to have the event calendar! And the shop goodwill looks nice. It's good to have another option than eBay. I Appreciate.
    Old 07-29-2017, 03:08 AM

I have the Passport 3.0 and have used it for 3 yrs and it is a great machine. Bu I do like Pfaff machine as I have three and definitely stay away from Bernina.
    Old 07-29-2017, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    You can get a quality machine without the cost of a big name. Look at the Eversewn machines -
    http://www.eversewn.com/
    Amazon carries them as well as several other vendors and they're good machines without the higher cost.

Cari
    YES, I love mine. Very sturdy, but light enough to carry to classes or workshops. Customer service is great.
    Old 07-29-2017, 04:09 AM

I don't know anything about the Bernina, but I have 2 Pfaff machines. One is the Creative Sensation and the other is the Passport 2 which I bought for hauling around to classes and such. I love the IDT on the Pfaff machines, especially for sewing on flimsy fabrics. I don't think you can beat it with anything else.
    Old 07-29-2017, 05:20 AM

I have 2 Bernina and I love them. I bought 2 Bernette Seville for granddaughters and they really are pieces of junk. They are not even entry level Bernina. I have heard GLOWING reviews on the 350 Bernina but I think they are still up there$$$. I did buy my 770 at a trade show and got an awesome deal on it... If you could get ahold of an old 830 or a 930 that would be the way to go!!! All that being said. A little Janome or Brother would be good also. And I am hearing more and more great stuff about that Eversewn..........