Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • help please *first quilt* >
  • help please *first quilt*

• help please *first quilt*

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Since it is a small quilt I would replace the checked backing with a print one. Then do your stitching from the top using blue painters tape to mark the lines. Also use a matching thread and the stitchingl not show up as much. Even with a solid backing the lines will show up a lot. That is not all bad if you want the quilting to be a design on the backing. Straight lines are usually hard to do even with tape.
    I also use painter's tape when I am cross hatching a top. If you are not familiar with the product, it is the blue tape that is package like masking tape found in the paint dept. There are other ways of marking the lines such as using a hera marker (by Clover), disappearing ink pens or chalk. I even have a very large 15" square Cross Hatch stencil that I use with the Clover wheel chalk.

KEEP your original stitching line. This will be your reference line for marking the rest of the quilt.

Depending on the width between stitching line, use the painter's tape to be your stitching guide so you will stitch right next to the edge.

Mark and stitch just a couple of rows from you reference line one side. Then remove the tape and repeat the steps. You will be done in no time. Just try to be patient and take things slowly since this is your first time. NO ONE looks at the back of the quilt!! There are NO quilt police. I have NEVER understood how we can put a man on the moon but can't print checks straight, they are ALWAYS crooked!! Good luck and post pictures when you have finished......
    Old 05-28-2013, 04:04 PM

As others have said, don't worry. When the baby sees the quilt he/she will be speechless!

Tate