Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help please... My math stinks >
  • Help please... My math stinks

• Help please... My math stinks

Old 01-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Default Help please... My math stinks

I have a black and white jelly roll and I'd like to make a log cabin with it. How many blocks will it make? Will the one jelly roll be enough? I will get something else for the center block, how much will I need to get?

Thanks in advance, I am terrible at the 'figuring things out' part of quilting. Well... That and basting. Lol
    Old 01-22-2014, 07:08 PM
    Power Poster

My dear, my math is probably worse.
    Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
    Power Poster

Not enough information. You can't figure out how much is enough unless you know how big you want the quilt to be. If a jelly roll is 40 strips of 2.5"x40" fabric, then it can make at most a quilt that is about 56" square, but it will be less if there are more seams. For a log cabin you also need to know whether it's an even mixture of lights and darks. Also how many logs do you want on the blocks?
    Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM

Using the EB method, which is 3 rounds and makes a 14" finished block, and assuming you use every inch of 40 strips (not realistic I know) you could make 15 blocks with a Jelly Roll. If you figure in some waste on each strip, you should still be able to get 13 or 14 blocks out of your roll. Twelve blocks would make a decent sized lap quilt if you add some borders.
    Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 PM

Ok, that helps. Thanks! I was trying to just eyeball it. Found a pattern and printed it out and it made it much essier. Lol
    Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    Not enough information. You can't figure out how much is enough unless you know how big you want the quilt to be. If a jelly roll is 40 strips of 2.5"x40" fabric, then it can make at most a quilt that is about 56" square, but it will be less if there are more seams. For a log cabin you also need to know whether it's an even mixture of lights and darks. Also how many logs do you want on the blocks?

You're right, Dunster. The colors make the jelly roll real iffy. However if she just wants rounds not too bad.
    Old 01-23-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by LLWinston44
    I have a black and white jelly roll and I'd like to make a log cabin with it. How many blocks will it make? Will the one jelly roll be enough? I will get something else for the center block, how much will I need to get?

Thanks in advance, I am terrible at the 'figuring things out' part of quilting. Well... That and basting. Lol
    oh,,,,, something for you to decide. How big do you want your chimney to be? I prefer the same size as the squares, but you can make the center chimney 2,3,4 times the width of your strips/logs Generally in red.. Another thing you'll need to know before you figure out how much fabric to get. I'd just buy a yard or two of a solid or tiny print and be done with it.--Red of course
    Old 01-24-2014, 07:53 AM

This is a log cabin pattern using a jelly roll: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/03/...-in-hills.html
    Old 01-24-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    oh,,,,, something for you to decide. How big do you want your chimney to be? I prefer the same size as the squares, but you can make the center chimney 2,3,4 times the width of your strips/logs Generally in red.. Another thing you'll need to know before you figure out how much fabric to get. I'd just buy a yard or two of a solid or tiny print and be done with it.--Red of course

I was wondering about that too. Thanks for the answer to a question you didn't know I had! Lol. I definitely want it to match the strips, so I assume I'd cut 2 1/2" squares? My son (the Marine) wants this one and he wants black chimney since its a black and white quilt, so at least thats figured out. Lol
    Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by chiaraquilts
    This is a log cabin pattern using a jelly roll: http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/03/...-in-hills.html
    Thank you so much!