Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP with quilt name and IDEAS so it is not so busy! >
  • HELP with quilt name and IDEAS so it is not so busy!

• HELP with quilt name and IDEAS so it is not so busy!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:22 AM
    Power Poster

What's wrong with 'busy'?? We are cutting up tons of small fabric pieces and sewing them back together. And we don't want 'busy', LOL?

I think the quilt is lovely. Maybe it's the prints you don't care for. You don't have to throw out the baby with the bath water and go to strictly solids... just pick colors and prints you like the next time.
    Old 08-24-2014, 06:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Red-Warrior, unfortunately I have never made that exact quilt. This is the closest one that I have made, it is a regular Irish Chain Pattern with a little more modern feel to it. I am working on the binding now, a gift for my SIL. Hope it helps to see another example.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]488820[/ATTACH]
    Jeanne, I LOVE your quilt! It went straight to my Pinterest board, for future inspiration. I think it's gorgeous. Reminds me of roses on a trellis.
    Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 AM
    Power Poster

Floral fabrics will always make a quilt look busy especially if used for a big border. One of the first things to learn about quilting is to make your own fabric choices. I seldom add a wide border to my quilts even when the pattern has them. I make another row of blocks to make it to size.
    Old 08-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by red-warrior
    I guess I worded this wrong....need to see options that would change the look of this. I have only made 2 quilts and am not good at visualizing what would work. Thanks Jeannie S- that helps. Please post pictures if any of you have some.

google the name of the quilt. You will come up with one site that contains a bunch of color variations of this pattern or very similar. If I had E7, I'd do some changes for you. Not counting the border, the pattern used 3 solids and one print.
    Pick 2 or 3 colors you really like, or maybe your first step ought to be find a small print you are absolutely crazy about. Then chose your solids based on that. Probalby the best way to go is to pick the neutral (white or beige) that is in your print. Then chose the two solids you like best in the print. I hate solids, so I'd use a tonal that matched instead of solids.
    Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    Red-Warrior, unfortunately I have never made that exact quilt. This is the closest one that I have made, it is a regular Irish Chain Pattern with a little more modern feel to it. I am working on the binding now, a gift for my SIL. Hope it helps to see another example.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]488820[/ATTACH]
    This is a beauty!
    Old 08-24-2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by red-warrior
    I have taken Boot Camp 1 to learn to quilt. I did not like the quilt for Boot camp 2, so took the first course twice. I would like to progress to the next level, but need ideas or pictures of how to make the quit not so busy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]488734[/ATTACH]
    What is boot camp? I don't understand.....you have been a member here since 2011 and you have only made two quilts? Did I miss something.......

Anyway, like someone said....the color choice makes/ breaks the quilt....and I too have a difficult time choosing fabs sometimes......usually though the first combo seems to be the best bet...the more I substitute, rearrange, the more indecisive I become.......and usually end up with the first set of fabs......jmho
    Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 AM

Here is a site to check out...
    Quilt Patterns | AllPeopleQuilt.com

<cite class="_Jd">www.allpeoplequilt.com/quilt-patterns</cite>
    No matter what size or style quilt you're seeking, you'll find something to sew in our collection of free quilt patterns. For a project you can quilt in a day, choose ...

Color Choices, Size of the Blocks, number of Pieces in a Block ( I prefer less pieces in a block and like above the pattern in the fabric sorta determines how big the pieces should be.. otherwise you loose the print in the fabric.) larger prints =larger blocks with solids for Contrast, too many prints distract from the Quilt pattern..I am not much for the modern Quilts and not a Fan of the yellow green that I see being used.. Great job on the Quilt you made...

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 08-25-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    Old 08-25-2014, 03:12 AM

I was thinking maybe another border in perhaps a light pink or some of the brown. I have found that sometimes the border can change the entire appearance of a quilt.

Color choices can definitely make or break a quilt. I have come to realize that I frequently fall in love with quilt patterns only because of the fabrics used. Of course, it is almost impossible to find the same fabrics when I decide to make the quilt, so the finished quilt can sometimes be less than satisfying but that doesn't mean it isn't a great quilt.

Quilting is definitely a learning process and it is so much fun playing with all the different fabrics. Finished quilts are just a bonus and someone will always love the quilt -- even if it is not our favorite.

Last edited by Aurora; 08-25-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 AM

When I first looked at the quilt I thought it was so pretty! Then when it was critiqued so much, I thought, yeah, the borders could be changed, not use that color and pattern. Then I thought, darn it, if someone gave me that quilt I'd be thrilled. Great job never the less and still beautiful!
    Old 08-25-2014, 04:40 AM

Red-warrior,
    I like your quilt just the way it is, I think its beautiful. I like quilts that have lots of contrast and brighter colors.
    You could donate it to a group that makes quilts for charity. I make quilts for in-need children and wounded soldiers.
    Sharon W. in Texas