Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP!  Sewing machine cabinet >
  • HELP! Sewing machine cabinet

• HELP! Sewing machine cabinet

Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
    Doesn't that knee pedal convert to a foot pedal? The long piece one's knee pushes against can be turned around by loosening the screw and repositioning the long bar over the rest of the pedal so one's foot can be pushed against it to provide connection for sewing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding from others I've seen.
    No, unless you rewire it (hassle) and the knee pedal is open on the back, so you'd have to fabricate a metal covering for it. Also a major headache. The cords for the knee pedal are too short to use on the floor as a foot pedal.
    Old 06-20-2011, 11:39 AM

Odd that this one actually has a metal backing to it. It is a BOCO Model 66 brand of knee pedal. It almost seems as if they added it later to the cabinet.

I have a Singer 328k that the pins in the back fit into and the front barely rests on the ledge in the front of the opening. I was so excited to see if this machine would fit. It is about an inch to long to fit into the space. I can cut the edge off the right side to make it fit but I would like to see what machine this would fit and go from there. I have a Janome 6600 that I use daily that has a home in a big desk that I had cut out. I have about 7 other various machines I sometimes use. No other machine I have comes close to fitting except the Singer 328k. I just found the cabinet at a yard sale for $8 (!!!!) and I had to have it! Even if I only use it as a night stand!!! Anything related to sewing is all right in my book!

I am sorry but you will have to explain this to me cause I have no idea what this means!!! Are the hinge pins the metal pins that go into the back of a sewing machine to mount onto the cabinet???
    "How far apart are the centers of the hinge pins and what is the diameter of the hinge pins?"

Thanks everyone for the help! :-}
    Old 06-20-2011, 02:20 PM

Cabinet and the knee pedal looks just like the one that my brother came in several years ago. It is a Brother 661 Charger. Hope this helps you
    Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 PM

I hope you find the perfect machine for it. If not I'll sacrifice & find a place for it in my sewing area.:) Just kidding; I think it looks great!
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM

The knee lever pedal on my cabinet is located on the right side too (for the 401A Singer), but I think your cabinet is missing the back board that will support the sewing machine and it's weight.

These cabinets were designed to "tuck" your machine in when you were not using it or for storing. The sewing table area folds down or flaps down and you tuck the machine in first, flip the sewing area down while the machine is already tucked inside the cabinet, then you'd screw off the four legs.

The legs on my Singer cabinet screw off, making the whole ensemble (machine & cabinet) easy to store when not in use.

Sometime ......(not now, very busy night, but......) I'll try to take step by step photos of my machine/cabinet explaining how my machine packs up and stores.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM

Sorry I don't know what machine this is intended for. Welcome from Illinois!
    Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Default the cabinet

I was recently given a very old White model 363, in a cabinet. One of my granddaughters wants to sew. It's her favorite color so I thought I would make sure it worked and send it on its way with the cabinet. My husband took it out of the cabinet to move it and now one of the hinge pins is missing and they look just like the ones attached to your table. Not a normal variety and I can't find them. Does anyone know where I can get thie odd shaped pin?
    Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 AM

Very nice cabinet, you got a really good deal!
    Old 07-22-2015, 12:05 PM

Kate - you may do better to start a new thread on the Vintage part of the forum - lots of people over there with cabinets like this.
    Old 07-22-2015, 06:33 PM

I really like your cabinet and the built in measuring tape is a nice touch.