Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help should i get it? >
  • Help should i get it?

• Help should i get it?

Old 04-10-2011, 06:33 AM

I try and check out the local thrift store on the weekends, i usually spend about $20 dollars for about 20 yards of fabric. but this week i found a Euro Pro garment press sells for 499.00 and i got it for 10.
    Also there is treadle for $51.00 but i just bought 2 new industrial sewing machines, one walking and the other pressure foot, kind of tapped me out, the reason i bought new ones is, i have no patience for things that need repair,or constant adjusting, i have 6 machines already plus the two new ones, should i go back today or let it go driving me crazy
    Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 AM

Would you really USE a treadle? Otherwise you can let someone else find a great deal. But, if you would use it .... I passed one up years ago due to lack of funds and it has haunted me ever since! Big help, right?
    Old 04-10-2011, 06:47 AM

I would love to find a treadle! I have been kind of looking for one local to me. I can find them on Craigslist, but they are pricey.
    Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 AM

i keep telling better half that if the world runs out of power i could keep sewing or he will have to turn the wheel on my electric-still can't decide
    Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

You have 8 sewing machines, 2 of them industrial, and no patience for repairing machines. I guess the key question for me is, why do you buy sewing machines? It can be an addiction just like anything else, with no real ongoing value for *you* of the things collected.

I used to collect vintage sewing machines. Just loved fixing them up, the nostalgia associated with them, etc. Finally one day my husband asked me if I ever used any of them, because they were taking up a lot of floor space. I got to thinking about it, and realized that I never used them because for "real" sewing I actually preferred my Bernina 1230. It was always reliable, never needed adjusting, was always ready to go when I needed to do something, the low hum of the machine was soothing, and I simply always enjoyed using it. I loved the vintage machines in terms of having them, but did not love using them.

It was hard, but I put an ad in the paper and found another collector who came to the house and bought most of my vintage machines (gave her low reasonable prices on everything). I kept a few that had sentimental value.

I'd still love to buy a treadle machine, but I won't unless I become sure that I will use it on a regular basis. I know from experience that vintage machines can become dust collectors.

When I was collecting, I did pass up a couple of great thrift store buys and was haunted by them for awhile. I think this is one of the costs of addiction. At that time, while still in the throes of collecting addiction, I think I should have bought them. Now it would not bother me to pass these machines up and let someone else have the thrill of "the find".
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ERCOALIN
    i keep telling better half that if the world runs out of power i could keep sewing or he will have to turn the wheel on my electric-still can't decide
    And of course you would sew by candle light, right? :lol:
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM

I was in the same boat as PRISM99, I started collecting and could not stop. Then it dawned on me that I could never use all of them unless I devoted a project to each one, and then I'd have a dozen projects going at the same time, which seemed pretty unrealistic. And I hated not using them, seemed a crime to let a perfectly good machine that worked well just sit there unused.

So...started listing them on Craigslist for sale. I'm down to my last one for sale now, I asked what I had paid for them and recouped my investment on all of them.

Of course I'm not totally cured. I'm still on the lookout for the machine that I used when I was a kid, it was a 1940's Kenmore and probably the one possession my mom cherished the most. I just want to have one for sentimental reasons. I've seen quite a few but I want one in good working condition so still looking.

I too see machines at garage sales and thrift stores all the time and am "haunted" by them, but I know the feeling will pass in time. Sigh.