Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day >
  • Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day

• Help!! Should I upgrade to8900-my 7700 having a bad hair day

Old 03-07-2015, 12:04 PM

3 1/2 years is such a short time. This machine should not be having so many problems. The dealer should be able to repair such minor problems. Sorry if it were me I would not invest in another model if this one is having so many problems but that is just me. If I pay in the thousand I expect that machine to last me well past 10/15 years with good maitenance otherwise I would not consider the quality good
    Old 03-07-2015, 12:08 PM

I love my 8900. It sews beautifully and the FMQ is almost effortless. If you can upgrade, I would. Your 7700 sounds like it is hopeless, but at only 3 1/2 years the dealer should give you a very big trade in allowance.
    Old 03-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Hi again, I just want to say, thanks so much for all your help ladies -I am going to try and adjust the bobbin tomorrow. I have the manual tension down to 1 and a half-I am right in the middle of an art quilt and the stitches are OK on it at this tension but obviously not ideal, so tomorrow I am going to see if I can get the tension to a normal setting. Hopefully your advice with the bobbin adjustment will help. I am hoping so anyway! I think the techw as in a hurry the last time I got it fixed. He put the new bobbin in and tested it using patterned stitches but not straight ones so maybe the bobbin needed adjusting anyway. Just hope its nothing else amiss at this stage. I will let you know how it goes anyway xx
    Old 03-07-2015, 06:23 PM

My 7700 would not sew through 4 seams butted up together. It would constantly just make tiny stitches. It worked fine for FMQ, but just seemed to have no piercing power. I have to agree on the Edsel comment. I got rid of mine as well and went for an entirely different brand.
    Old 03-07-2015, 07:01 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by madamepurl
    My 7700 would not sew through 4 seams butted up together. It would constantly just make tiny stitches. It worked fine for FMQ, but just seemed to have no piercing power. I got rid of mine as well and went for an entirely different brand.
    I've noticed that, too. I do like FMQ with it (although I'm going to be shopping for a sit-down mid-arm this year). Do you mind sharing what you went with for piecing? I was thinking of the 8900, but have read of some issues with the Acufeed feet/ankle breaking on that model.
    Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by mkc
    I've noticed that, too. I do like FMQ with it (although I'm going to be shopping for a sit-down mid-arm this year). Do you mind sharing what you went with for piecing? I was thinking of the 8900, but have read of some issues with the Acufeed feet/ankle breaking on that model.
    Pfaff. I did an even trade (no money exchanged hands) and got rid of both the Janome Horizon and the QDC 3160, for a Pfaff Quilt Ambition 4.0 that was used for 1 project. It wasn't even a year old and mine were 4 years old and heavily used. It was also late in the model year, right before the new 4.2 came out and has run perfectly. However, I piece a lot on a Pfaff Passport and that thing never balks at nested seams. It has awesome piecing power.

I have the Sweet Sixteen sitdown now for quilting and never used the Janome's once I got the Passport, so they just collected dust. I was sold on the Accufeed of the Janome, but really missed the IDT. I'm happy now that I have my IDT back. If your going to go to a sit down quilting machine, I would recommend something that doesn't have a large feed dog width and gives you an accurate scant the minute you sit down. I don't have to fuss with width settings on my Pfaff's...just sit down and know it's going to be scant 1/4" with one of their quarter inch foot. They have a newer foot out now that you move it to the left one click if you want a true 1/4" seam and it works great.
    Old 03-08-2015, 01:05 AM

I was a huge Janome fan until I tried a Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 at the Edinburgh Quilt Show. As well as the IDT, the auto-pivot function sold me straight away (I do a lot of machine appliqué and the luxury of not having to lift that presser foot up and down..... even for straight seams and piecing it's a joy!).

We got off to quite a sticky start (my first one was faulty and was replaced by a new one) and I too lost a bit of confidence and didn't 'gel' with it at first. I also bought the Passport when it came out, but have been so spoilt with the auto-pivot I sold it I'd never buy a machine without this function now. I recently bought the Performance 5 which allows you to design your own stitches. Love it!

I spoke to the Janome rep at the Birmingham Quilt Show and suggested they introduce a machine with this function. At the moment they only have auto-pivot on their 1500 embroidery machine which I think retails for £6,500....

I'd suggest you try a Pfaff and see what you think. Good luck!
    Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 AM

Hi Madam Purl, I was going to ask that exact same question-which machine have you now? How does the Pfaff compare regarding sewing through multi seams and overall reliability? I see my dealer has the designer 5 reduced in price at the moment. I have never tried a Pfaff machine and my dealer maintained the Janomes were abetter amchine. But the 8900 is 2600 Euros and the Pfaff is on special at 1500 euros at the moment. Just wondering.
    Thanks Kninette for all your advice also I do a lot of applique and lifting the presser foot up and down every inch can be a bit tiresome!!
    Old 03-08-2015, 04:26 AM

You can also look for a machine with a knee lift for the presser foot if you do a lot of applique. Might save some money that way.
    Old 03-08-2015, 06:45 AM

I have a Janome 8900 and love the extra space it provides and it sews nicely. This is my first Janome and it replaced a Viking that I've had since 1976 so I'm not as much of an expert on machines as those who trade more often.