Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELP!!!  SMELLY FABRIC! >
  • HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

• HELP!!! SMELLY FABRIC!

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 AM

Spray with fabreeze, quilt quickly, and wash :)
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:12 AM

I used to be a smoker, back when you could smoke anywhere, including your house....I have found that 'Orange Glow', or 'Simple Green' both natural cleaners, will take the smell out, of course you'll have to wash your fabrics. I use Simple Green on my running clothes to get the 'P-U!' out of them.
    maybe you could soak them in a dish pan and hang dry so as no to shrink them too much. Good luck
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by mountain-moma
    It's me,me again i use the Odor-Ban as a air fresher in my car to i just put some on a piece of cloth and tuck it away like maybe under a seat and it really smells good i mean to tell u it won't hurt your fabric at all(:)
    I love this stuff, we had problems after being flooded, and it worked great getting all kinds of bad smells out.
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 AM

Bright Air Odor Eliminator, will get the odor out. You can get it Dollar General. Put the jelly rolls in the bag as suggested open the container of Odor Eliminator, after pealing off the top sealer you can put the vent top back on or leave it off for for this project. In that small area it shouldn't take that long to eliminate the odor.
    We loan out our Jeep several time last summer which was used to go to the river fishing, canoeing, etc. Then it sat unused for a few weeks. When I got in the car it smelled like something dead!
    I put one container of Odor Eliminator in the floor between the seats, closed up the doors and windows and left it for a few days..........the smell went away. That was in Sept. and it still smells ok.

The size container I bought is supposed to be effective for 3 mos. I've had it in my house for all this time and it still is working.
    Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 AM
    Power Poster

Don't be fooled, how the jelly roll smells is exactly how a smoker smells after each cigarette, outside or not. Being a smoker you cannot smell it on yourself. I know, I use to be a smoker when I was young. In our guild we have two smokers who do not smoke in their homes or cars but everyone can smell the smoke on them. It's in their hair, clothes, and it lingers. A smoker won't believe that at all until they become non smokers.
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM

The Vinegar trick really works. since you can't wash them yet, soak them in the bathtub with water and a cup of vinegar. this works for everything. I had a bedwetter and it worked so good on his sheets and comforter. you would have never known.
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:49 AM

hey would febreeze do it? or would that compromize (sp) the fabric when you iron it???
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

Honestly, I wouldnt even try to get the smell out. I would return the jellyrolls to the seller and a) ask for my money back or b) ask them to replace the items with ones that dont smell so bad.

eBay has a resolution department if the seller is not willing to cooperate with you.

If you're bent on keeping them, I would seperate and hang outdoors until the smell goes away. But having lived with a smoker in the past, it can take a while.
    Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

I never tried the baking soda, but my father-in-law used to smoke cigars in our home until he finally realized that our "no, please" meant just that. To get the smell out of our house, I put out small bowls of white vinegar around the room I wanted to rid of the smell. After awhile the smell was gone. I have tried that on fabric as well. Just put the fabric in a few large zipbags and put in a small bowl of vinegar. leave it for several hours and it should work. I tried this with something I won on ebay and it worked.
    Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 AM

I agree.
    Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    My only thought was to try to soak them in vinegar water. It seems to get the smell out of everything. You could then rinse them and let them hang over some kind of drying rack. That should minimize fraying.