Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! Thread nests >
  • Help! Thread nests

• Help! Thread nests

Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM

you don't say--is your's a drop in bobbin or a side? if it uses a separate bobbin case, make sure that you are having it unroll in the case counter-clockwise and that thread is seating in the tension arm of the bobbin. It looks like your quilting was fine? did you have your presser feet dropped? think back to settings and what you were doing when it was still working fine. Then start doing some back tracking--but as others have said, bottom thread nests are almost always a top tension issue--is the thread a cone or a spool? Is it coming off the cone/spool to it's going straight to the next tensioner? Check the check spring that is part of the tensioner ensemble on most domestic machines--sometimes they get worn and while they don't break, they don't spring either! also make sure that the thread is seated in the tensioner. Good luck, nothing is ore exasperating than a machine not working!
    Old 09-28-2017, 08:42 PM

How frustrating! Sorry this is happening. I can only suggest the usual: turn your machine off and then back on, completely rethread it including the bobbin, change to a different thread & needle, practice on a scrap.
    Old 09-29-2017, 02:30 AM

At one of our guild sew days, this was happening to someone. Another person who works at a sewing machine dealer, looked at her bobbin. The problem came from the bobbin being the incorrect one for her machine. Once she placed another bobbin she had brought, it worked like a dream.
    Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 AM

I have two machines, a Singer and a Brother. I use the Singer when I am volunteering at the middle school with the fifth-grade quilting project. It can travel without problems, and it is relatively kid-proof. The Brother is my go-to home machine, which I use for quilting, sewing, hemming curtains, etc.

Although they look identical, the bobbins for each machine are just different enough that they cannot be interchanged. It only takes a couple of stitches for me to realize that I have mixed them up. Believe me, it's a pain to have to rewind a bobbin from another one, but it does make a big difference.

The dreaded "felt" which I make in the bobbin area has caused me problems, also. I don't want to take the time to clean everything out regularly. It takes to much time away from the actual sewing. However, I have to force myself to clean out the bobbin area more often. It, too, makes a great deal of difference in either machine.
    Old 09-29-2017, 03:34 AM
    Power Poster

All good suggestions. I have several inexpensive Brother machines and sometimes the thread doesn't catch the slot in the bobbin case. They are drop in bobbins. So maybe check that too.
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:10 AM

One more suggestion...be sure you are threading with the presser foot UP.
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:33 AM
    Power Poster

So frustrating! Hope the above suggestions work. They have worked for me.
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 AM

I had that happen to me with my little Laura Ashley Brother machine (inexpensive). It has a plastic guide for threading the bobbin, but I found that guide would sometimes interfere with getting the thread in the right place (the little metal tension piece). Now I slide my finger under the plastic guide to make sure the thread "catches" correctly. I haven't had a problem since then.

Unfortunately... I was working on my son's bathrobe when it happened, and didn't discover it until the front seam was sewn down. I wasn't able to rip it out (it was a fleece bathrobe, and I was a beginner), so I clipped the nests and hoped for the best. He didn't mind, and if it ever does come undone, I'll just go redo that part.
    Old 09-29-2017, 04:54 AM

Did you find a solution yet?

Is this a newly wound bobbin? Check to make sure it feels firm and not squishy in the bobbin. Wind a new bobbin and try it.

What needle are you using? Size? Try changing the needle even if you have already done that as it could be bent.

Good Luck!
    Old 09-29-2017, 06:08 AM

When this happens on my Janome 6500 it is because the thread has popped out of the pick up lever. Just need to rethread.