Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help with transparent thread >
  • Help with transparent thread

• Help with transparent thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM

Does anyone have any hints or how to's when using transparent thread to keep it was getting wrapped around the thread holder and numerous other problems with it while sewing?

Thank you so very much
    Pam
    Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM

Some of those need time to "relax" I have a separate holder to give it some distance from the tension discs to relax. Many others just plop the spool in a canning jar next to the machine. They can be a pain, just give is more "space"
    Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 AM
    MCH

I, too, put the spool in a small container behind the machine, directly below the spool spindle.

I also tape a closed safety pin upside down (loop end extends beyond the top of the machine) to the back of the machine and thread the invisible thread through the "loop". The loop acts a trolley that helps to guide the "thread" into the threading mechanism of the machine.

Once I discovered to do that, I have no issues with using the "invisible thread" as a top thread.

I haven't had such good luck using it in the bobbin (and that includes purchasing the "thread" on pre-wound bobbins).

Hope this trick helps.

m.
    Old 08-26-2009, 12:41 PM

You are better off using a separate thread stand with the transparent thread. You want a heavy duty one with the metal base. Not the plastic based one from JoAnns. I've had both so am speaking from experience.

I actually use the tread stand with all my thread.
    Old 08-26-2009, 12:53 PM
    Power Poster

Also be sure to loosen your top tension when using invisible thread on top. Otherwise the thread will stretch when you sew and cause problems.
    Old 08-26-2009, 01:16 PM

Good point prism99
    Originally Posted by Prism99
    Also be sure to loosen your top tension when using invisible thread on top. Otherwise the thread will stretch when you sew and cause problems.
    Old 08-26-2009, 03:54 PM

Great tips! I've wanted to try this thread also, but heard that it was hard to work with. Also, nice to hear about the thread stands. My machine doesn't have an upright thread spool and I'd like to use some of the larger cones.
    Old 08-26-2009, 04:54 PM

CindyBee, the thread stand is great for that. I have a lot of Superior Thread cones and that works great.

Also, Superior Threads has a mono/poly transparent thread. It's awesome. You can go to www.superiorthreads.com and check out all their thread. I use MasterPiece by Alex Anderson for all my piecing. And their Bottom Line for bobbin. They have great thread for quilting too.
    Originally Posted by CindyBee
    Great tips! I've wanted to try this thread also, but heard that it was hard to work with. Also, nice to hear about the thread stands. My machine doesn't have an upright thread spool and I'd like to use some of the larger cones.
    Old 08-26-2009, 05:32 PM

I took a quilting class that was taught by a well-known quilter who does all her quilting on a home sewing machine. She suggested a product called "Sewer's Aid" for nylon and metallic threads. While working on a memory quilt recently, I grew increasingly frustrated by the thread not feeding through discs well, breaking, etc. Finally ran a bead of QA down the spool and could not believe the immediate difference! I'm sold, and would definitely recommend it.
    Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by pjinflorida
    Does anyone have any hints or how to's when using transparent thread to keep it was getting wrapped around the thread holder and numerous other problems with it while sewing?

Thank you so very much
    Pam
    I put on a thread net on my transparent thread. Also, use a spool holder on the end of the spool pin.
    When winding the specialty thread on the bobbin do not thread it though the needle, as it will stretch the thread.
    Thread of choice for me is Sulky. Hope this helps along with the other hints. :)