Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help!!!  Water leak - Wet fabrics >
  • Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

• Help!!! Water leak - Wet fabrics

Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Is there a wall where you could move that cabinet to, one not under a water pipe? It would be a big undertaking but could save fabric tragedy again.
    Old 01-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
    Is there a wall where you could move that cabinet to, one not under a water pipe? It would be a big undertaking but could save fabric tragedy again.
    The water pipe is actually about a foot or so out from the cabinets. It's just that the water always finds a beam or something to run along. I do like the fact that it comes thru the light fixture fairly quick, because it lets me know there is a problem.
    Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Dh said that plumber replaced a 3 foot section of pipe, before he could have him do the whole thing. With the other repairs, it is almost all new pipe now. The plumber did say that there would have been a second leak in that pipe that he replaced. We need to look into haveing the pipes coated. When you have old pipes and very very hard water, the pipes just don't last well.

What a pain!!!!
    Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Good morning everyone. thank you for your replies.
    We shut off all water to the house overnight. DH turned it on long enough for us to get our showers in this morning and then shut it off again.
    I am back at work, no plumber yet.

We did get through to him, should be coming by sometime this morning, I hope. I have my adult daughter heading over to the house to "hang" out.

I washed about 60 yards of fabric. Some of it has some stains from the water. Others, that were older have some fading in the folds. I set aside a stack of "damaged" fabric. It is still useable, just not as large pieces.

I have not emptied the rest of the cabinets, but maybe I should look at doing that when I get home later this afternoon. Nothing else in them is wet, as far as I can tell. I did leave them open to air dry if there is any moisture.

This is not a basement, this is just a family room on the first floor of the house. There is only empty attic above the room so the pipe is fairly easy to access. This water is not from the rain but from a pipe that has (another) pin-hole prick in it. We will probably have the plumber replace the entire length of the pipe, as this is the 3rd leak from it. We may need to look into haveing the pipes coated with a silicone type coating. The quote we got on that 2 3/4 years ago was about $5,000. I wonder if it is any less now!
    Oh Ouch!!! I feel so bad for you. I was going to ask about cost, because I have a leak under my 40 year old house in CA. The water has been shut off since October as I have been in NM having two knees replaced. Now I have to go back and deal with my leak. I figure it will be expensive, but at least (?) it is UNDER the house and not getting my stash (some of which is in NM and the rest still in CA). I was planning to sell my house and now will have to spend $$$$ before I can even do that. Your sewing room looks beautiful. All the best with the repairs.
    Old 01-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I don't think DH wants to call insurance or anything.
    I am concerned about the wet insulation, wall board and stuff. I don't get off work until 3, it's only 11:15.
    I think, maybe, we should get someone in who has some big fans to dry things out.
    There was not a terrible amount of water, the floor should be fine, it is actually a very top quality vinyl flooring that really looks like a real wood floor.
    Dh has to get back to work too. I don't know what to do. I won't be able to call anyone else in until I get home about 3:15.
    Old 01-13-2011, 11:23 AM

I would be concerned about the mold too. The suggestion of having a dehumidifier sounds like a really good idea. Good thing too that you washed the fabric. Glad it is fixed for now. Can't you leave early today? Like it is an emergency for real!
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Good luck.

Hugs

Helen
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM

The cost of replacing "only" sixty yards of the stash is a lot more than the cost of washing and drying the fabric. What besides water may be in them,,,,,,,,,,I would opt for the laundry.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

One of my concerns is why is it leaking again when it's only been a couple of years since it was repaired, in addition to getting your fabric wet, can't really give you any advice there other than go ahead and wash it, if it smells a little mildewy, baking soda in the wash should help some.
    Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM

Jim's Gem, I would call whoever fixed the problem to come back. Plumbing should last more than 3 yrs. Get them over before the damage gets bad and you do have to claim it on ins.
    I'm glad the Bernina is ok. Take it upstairs and other things that are valuable.
    Hugs.
    Marla