Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help! Why does this look so bad? >
  • Help! Why does this look so bad?

• Help! Why does this look so bad?

Old 08-01-2017, 03:27 AM

I also don't think the fabrics work that well together - but if this was my project, I would either make more blocks with other fabrics to try and tie it together more - or I would cut those babies up and turn it into a much scrappier looking project.
    Old 08-01-2017, 03:31 AM
    Power Poster

On the first one, the theme seems to be llght border - dark center block, alternated with a dark border - light center block.

Which - after looking more carefully, I realized that you had also done.

There are places in the first one where the contrasts are harder to see - where the effect to me is medium border - medium center blocks.
    Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 AM

All you see is that fluorescent green and the kelly green. Substitute some colors more in line with the rest of the colors.
    Old 08-01-2017, 04:15 AM

Just another pair of eyes and suggestions for you if you like. If not, no worries at all.

Try shuffling the blocks so the fabrics aren't duplicated in a row or diagonal. It looks like you have enough blocks to place them randomly in the design.

For example, ROW 1/Block 3 and ROW 2/Block 4 are same or similar.

In ROW 3 the sashings look great but there are 3 blocks of same square color. Try moving one of them.

Just one more suggestion before stitching together. Check the sashings so they are oriented in the same direction. Some have long piece on top and some have long piece on side. Not sure if you were checking for that or not.

You might also consider moving 4 blocks of the same fabrics into each corner if you have them. That might help the quilt design rest and add a bit of control.

Are you adding borders? They will give you added options too.

Hope that helps!
    Old 08-01-2017, 04:30 AM

In my mind you have too many with that white looking border all placed in the upper half of the quilt top. I counted five such blocks throughout the top. Why not include one in each row but place them in varying locations throughout the row. I feel you have too much of that white looking blocks in the top two rows and too much of the grey looking borders in the bottom two. Try switching them around. Just a thought.
    Old 08-01-2017, 04:31 AM

Take out those bright greens, they are much too bright and don't fit in with the rest of the greens. I agree with you, this quilt isn't too nice right now but it has good bones and if you remove them, please put some muted greens in their place. I'm sure this is going to turn out great.
    Old 08-01-2017, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by carol45
    I tried removing the lime green pieces and this is how it looks now. Doesn't seem much better to me. Can anyone suggest why I'm not getting the wonky look that's in the blue quilt?
    Yes this! I am loving it!
    Old 08-01-2017, 05:47 AM

Others have already mentioned both of these things, but they struck me, too.

I think the difference between the blue quilt and your green quilt is that the green one has more solids (or at least fabrics that read solid on my monitor).

I think the white is too white in the green quilt, especially when it's the outside square. Try taking those out and see how it looks? Two of the blocks with the white outer border are exactly the same and kitty-corner from each other. If you leave them in, consider putting them farther apart.

When a fabric doesn't quite fit in it seems to me that you either need to take it out or add more of it, so another possibility is adding in MORE neon green and white. I'm not really sure that would work, but just throwing another idea out.

I sympathize, it's disappointing to spend all that time on something and end up not liking it. Hope you can rearrange it into something you're happier with.
    Old 08-01-2017, 06:53 AM

I agree with Tartan. It looks much better now.
    Old 08-01-2017, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by loisf
    There are several prints in the blue one that tie the dark blue and the white together. Do you have any green and white prints that might work. The blue quilt has very few solid-color fabrics in it. You seem to have quite a few, or at least they read solid to me.
    I agree with this. In the blue quilt, there is a blue & white floral that draws my eye, and I can see the "wonky" you are talking about. I think it is in the color perception and the way the colors/patterns are playing together.