Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • HELPPPPPPPPPP!!! >
  • HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

• HELPPPPPPPPPP!!!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 PM

Is it possible to adjust the amount of pressure on the presser bar? If you can lighten that up, that will make the motion less "jerky," but you will probably also have to speed up the machine to match the speed of your hands in order to eliminate that jerky sensation entirely.

When the machine speed and the speed of your motion are in synch, you can barely feel the hopping foot as it pushes down momentarily.

Try experimenting with a quilt made of batting sandwiched with muslin on the outside - about 16 - 18" squares of materials that you don't care about very much.

Once you fill up your sandwich area with stitching, you can put layers of muslin over both sides and use it again and again until it's too stiff to use any more. At which time you can use it for stiffener inside tote bags or hot pads or whatever.
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:23 PM

Apart from gloves, I also use a Supreme Slider. Its a thin teflon sheet that you lay over the machine bed and your fabric glides more freely.

http://sew-whats-new.com/video/quilt...review-supreme
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:31 PM

I bought my gloves at the LQS, but it is possible Joanns would have some also.
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM
    Power Poster

are you using a darning foot? it has a spring on the shaft. that helps keep the fabric from moving for the split second the needle is in the fabric.
    slow movement of the quilt and fairly fast foot pedal speed works well.
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot

Try experimenting with a quilt made of batting sandwiched with muslin on the outside - about 16 - 18" squares of materials that you don't care about very much.

Once you fill up your sandwich area with stitching, you can put layers of muslin over both sides and use it again and again until it's too stiff to use any more. At which time you can use it for stiffener inside tote bags or hot pads or whatever.
    I like that idea of layering on top of your sandwich area to get more use. I always feel like I'm wasting fabric and batting just doing the sandwich once & throwing it away.
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:50 PM

Machingers Gloves and the supreme slider are your best best. I also like the fabric glide as well
    Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM

If you want to try gloves without going out and buying some, try using a pair of clean gardening gloves with the little dots on them. This is what I use all the time.
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Along with all the other suggestions, I wax my sewing machine before FMQ. It makes it slide so much easier. Don't forget to let it dry before using it.

Mary
    Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM
    Kas

I use Atlas gardening gloves, but the kind with the whole finger area dipped in the rubber. They are thin like machingers, but not quite as thin. I also use the Supreme Slider. Here is another question for ya...what is the fabric like on the backing? Is it just smooth, or does it have metallic printing or white on white printing? Those will make it stick more and make it harder to move.
    Old 05-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Gloves are a huge help! I bought some lightweight gardening gloves that have a rubberized palm. I like them better than the quilting gloves I bought and they were cheaper! lol

Some people use the rubber finger grips they sell in the office supply stores.