Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Her quilting world will never be the same >
  • Her quilting world will never be the same

• Her quilting world will never be the same

Old 07-24-2011, 07:47 AM

I posted about my "closet" quilting friend with the color issues. Well it went swimmingly as they say across the pond. She is not colorblind. She is just self taught and missed a few educational steps along the way.

She came about 7 in the evening because she had storm damage from the night before. We worked in true fabrics. I pulled probably 100 different fabrics from my stash, some as small as scraps, lots of FQ's and some yardage. She brought along another 10 that she thought would go from her stash plus what we bought the other day for the orange, yellow and green quilt. We put them on my dining room table and foyer floor using a good light and my huge white cutting mat and the off white of the foyer tile as design boards.

I pulled a basket of oranges, yellows and greens left overs and she could take any, all or none of it that she wanted.

Lessons learned....one, she saw the difference viewing fabrics in the size you were going to use them versus yardage, the difference in the color of lighting and the advantage of using white background. Her sewing room is coral/pink and while mine is green, I dont match fabrics there and she does.

Two, once she saw my stash (which is really planned quilts in containers mostly) she saw that Moda, Kaufman, etc, made lines of fabric that were all dye matched. The salvage concept...was nothing she knew about. She has purchased her fabric at sidewalk sales or garage sales etc. When she did buy fabric at a LQS or chain she didnt look at the manufacturer etc, she just walked through the store picking up bolts.

Three, she know gets why you would buy FQ's instead of yardages of fabric. She saw the Mexican star I did with 16 fabrics instead of four basic colors. She also saw the border of the Bali Wedding Star where I varied the creams and understood the shading and depth you could get by not using one fabric but they had to be coordinated. They also fit the Go! better which sunk the deal!

She saw a Go! in action. Blew her mind that we could cut an entire queen 1 inch finish log cabin in a hour or two while talking and do it accurately. I think she is going to want to borrow this tool alot which is fine with me

We got some of the idea of colors mudding others. She got to see the difference in the visual impact because once her core set of strips were cut, I let her play with adding colors from the two stashes and we talked about why they were on or a tad off and what you saw from the core set of colors or what you lost or how they just clashed even if they were the same color. In the end she kept three of her colors and seven from mine.

I am tired. She left about 11pm, thrilled to death, with her quilt cut and bagged according to color and darks/lights. I worked til 1:30 on my projects.

Now I have to get those 100 fabrics back where they belong. When my husband walked in last night from work and saw what we were doing and that my stash had literally exploded over the main floor of the house, he shook his head and hid in the basement! He is gone today.
    Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

So wonderful. You are a fabulous friend!!!!
    Old 07-24-2011, 08:03 AM

OH MY GOSH! What a friend you are!

Too funny! Your husband is just like mine -- he would also run from a fabric explosion!
    Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Oh my gosh..I wish I could have been a mouse in her pocket and got the tutorials with her :)

what a good friend you are!
    Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Can I come to your house? I'm real good at buying fabric. Stink at everything else. :lol:
    Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Sounds like you both had a great time and got some work done in the process. That's a wonderful story.
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM

It sounds like she has been successfully "re-directed". You gave her a great gift.
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM

You did a marvelous thing for your friend by giving her a gift of your time and expertise... Blessings on you for that!
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:44 AM

Wow. My mom has done the same for me a few years back. It's an amazing feeling when you open the eyes of a new quilter isn't it?
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 AM

What I wouldn't give to have a great quilting friend like you!