Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Here is an idea for a "Quilt Retreat Weekend" >
  • Here is an idea for a "Quilt Retreat Weekend"

• Here is an idea for a "Quilt Retreat Weekend"

Old 08-07-2011, 05:08 AM

I have a friend who does a cross-stitching retreat like that. It's called Stitcher's Hideaway. She has some retreats that have teachers, but in the winter she does one where you just go and stitch and eat. She has the food catered and brought in and we have access to a meeting room where we all set up for the weekend. It's much less expensive than retreats that have classes and is really fun. There is a cost but it's less than half of what an event with a teacher would cost and in the winter in a beach town, the hotel is really cheap.
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 AM

Sounds good to me!
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:24 AM

I have 3 scrapbooking friends and for the past 3 years we have been renting a suite hotel room that has 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen. We pack our own food, pot luck the meals, bring a movie or 2, and spend the weekend scrapping. The last time we went Thurs-Sunday and it was only $100 p.p. The nice thing is we are "away" from home, but still available if there is any emergencies and we know all the local shops so there is usually a "road trip" for supplies. This would adapt equally well for a quilting retreat, I just don't have any local quilting friends! :(
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 AM

We do that once to twice a year. It's alot of fun.

I also have had a retreat at my house. Six people on a weekend when my husband is gone. I might so it again this fall. Only one or two actually sleep over but it starts on a Friday after work and goes til Sunday at 5. Bring a dish. I provide continental breakfast and make chili for dinner.

No spa or swimming pool is the only bad thing.
    Old 08-07-2011, 01:49 PM

All information is great for sure!!! My main idea on this was to be able to "get away" and figure out how without costing an arm and a leg for sure. Everyone should be able to enjoy their quilting and friends. Most of all, when it does not cost so much and can have just as good a time I feel......so lets all get cracking and figure something out to do for sure. I think a October retreat is good when the DH goes hunting and start making Xmas gifts, etc. That way would not cost for a room, stay at your home and pay to have a massage person come in or go to a local Gym and swim, etc.......just relax!!!!
    Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Here in the Portland Oregon area we have gotten together at someones house for the day. Also we have rented a house at the beach, but it could be any nice place, and the cost was much less with 13 of us in attendance. We also did pot luck and had food left over at the end. Coming up is our third time at the beach. We try to get together every two months.. I have really enjoyed this since I live alone and many miles from quilting shops or friends.
    Old 08-07-2011, 02:19 PM
    Banned

I am hosting a retreat at a local hotel...we are using the conference room, those from out town got a deal on the rooms! We get the pool, breakfast, and lots of time to SEW!
    Old 08-07-2011, 02:22 PM

AS hot as it has been this summer, I think a retreat in Alaska sounds perfect! :)