Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is it heresy >
  • Is it heresy

• Is it heresy

Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM

Thanks, everyone. I have been using sheets but wasn't sure what other quilters would think. With all the time put into hand quilting, I want the quilting to show. As for sheets not being big enough, I usually don't find that to be a problem. With a few of them I have made little borders on the sheet side and they look quite nice.
    Old 03-05-2018, 02:18 PM

I used to go to an Army-Navy surplus store near me and buy wool blankets which I shrank prior to using. They held up well. My family had 3 brothers in the Navy, so we had lots of blankets to use when I was young. They, too held up well in our home which had only 1 stove in the family room.
    Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM

The first time I ever brought up the topic at my LQS I had the wrath of God and the fear of He** almost shouted at me. But I could never understand the logic of it. If you find a pretty sheet that's appropriate, why not? I think I'd use a Microtex needle, but other than that, I'd say go for it!!
    Old 03-05-2018, 04:11 PM

The lady that encouraged me and taught me to hand quilt always used sheets for her backings. She even used poly/cotton blends as well. Her quilts are lovely. It was what she preferred and not an economic issue at all.

I learned to handquilt with sheets and I do think they were a bit harder to needle. Very doable tho. I will probably do it again but for now I have been piecing backings with my scraps and gifted fabrics. Just try it and see how you like it. Not heresy at all.