Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases >
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases

• Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 12:58 PM

My husband wouldn't care - he buys stuff too, but I do hide it....I dunno why.....they don't need to know everything do they?
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM

I probably have as much or more fabric than my LQS, but it seems I always "need" just that one special piece to make a quilt top sing, but, I haven't started hiding it - -- - -YET
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:08 PM

I probably have as much or more fabric than my LQS, but it seems I always "need" just that one special piece to make a quilt top sing, but, I haven't started hiding it - -- - -YET

oops double post. sorry
    Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM

How lucky am I? My DH loves going to the fabric shops with me. I, in turn, love browsing the Hardware store with him.
    WE have worked together for all of our 30 years of marriage; can't stand each other on the job, but love being together away from work. Odd, but it works for us.
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by saf
    ahh...a fellow conspirator..... :lol:
    LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: DITTO!
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:10 PM

I have laughed at a lot of these replies. I read the original post to DH, and he reacted just as I thought...with a sideways look at me, and a little smirky grin...we both laughed, as we both know I love, love, love to buy not just fabric, but all things "quilty"...and we both know while I never hide it, I don't just rush in and show him every little thing...mainly as he tries to be polite, and interested, but...thats like me loving to hear him talk of his hunting and fishing hobbies...lol...One more thing, as I am trying to quit being so "perfectionistic" about my fmq, he has been known to "point out" a little extra loop, or loose thread to me...backfired on him, as just spurred me on to buy a better machine, AND the plans for him to build the quilt frame for me!! :mrgreen: In all reality, if there is something I see, that I think he can build for me, I tell him, we explore it, and most of the time it appears to me within a few days...or something I want(such as the new sewing machine) that would be considered a "big purchase", we discuss it, and I buy it. In turn, I try and be...ahem, "interested" in his hunting and fishing...humor has always been a big thing for he and I...must be working, we are going on 29 years of marriage! :thumbup:
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM

Ok so get ready to laugh!!!

All the twoonies ($2) and loonies ($1)(Canadian Money) that enter our pockets - while we are out shopping, etc. I have asked my DH if he would give them all to me, and I will save them up as my quilting money (I use that money to purchase all my quilting needs)
    I refer to this money as my "Hooker money" as it was always on the kitchen table in the morning when I get up....
    A while ago the money wasn't being placed on the table - so I fixed that - when we went out for breakfast,lunch or dinner - (if we have an audience and I haven't had any Hooker money for a day or so), I ask rather loudly "You haven't paid me my Hooker money"?
    - we get some pretty strange looks. DH pays closer attention now, the money is always there now - I think he was embarassed - not me - I just laugh....funny how quickly this adds up
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM

I always just say --"It's cheaper than the boat"
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigDog
    Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.
    It's a game!
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM

i don't have to hide ANYTHING from him his motto is " anything you want dear " he is teaching my married son that too. !!!!what a lucky dil.
    i don't buy fabric unless i need it and i really don't i have been sewing from my stash for a long time. i may need something to go with what i have. i buy other things...cars....furniture....vacations.....and i am lucky enough not to work.