Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases >
  • Hiding Fabric Purchases

• Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
    Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
    A P.O. Box is my solution. I currently live with my aged mother. Her comment is "I think you have enough fabric now!" But the other day she pointed out an auction to me that has two treadle machines and quilting items listed. Of course, I was already planning to attend said auction.

It is my money. It just is alot easier if the fabric is just there. She has finally offered an extra bedroom for a sewing/craft room. We live in a mobile home and space is at a premium, but this will allow me to move my knitting/quilting out of the living room into an area where I can work on my projects and return her living room to her. We will both be happier.
    Old 08-04-2011, 02:51 AM

I don't hide them from my dh cause he is the one that takes me to the quilt shops...I don't smoke, drink or do drugs...heheheh....I am addicted to fabric...plain and simple...but I have a friend who has to hide her fabric from her dh...because she can't stand the eye roll either....your not alone in this world trust me...I know a few...there is a woman at our shop who owns several machines and he dh knows nothing about them....as long as your not putting your family into financial ruin and your not harming anybody I think your fine...besides your dh probably has golf clubs you would be shocked at the price...blessings
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:01 AM

OMG - I do the same thing. My sewing room is the only upstairs room in the house and the stairs are right by the garage door. When I come home with fabric, I just run upstairs really quickly before he knows I'm home and hide my "treasures". I use my own credit card and he never knows how much I'm spending! However, he gets his share of tool purchases too.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:14 AM
    Swap Hosts

My husband comes fabric shopping with me. He loves it. Well, maybe he doesn't love it but he loves me!
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by saf
    ahh...a fellow conspirator..... :lol:
    I try to hide some from him but most of the time he has to get packages from car - now the mailing stuff.....If I can beat him to the door or he isnt here I can usually get by him lol

He told me once that it looked as though I had more fabric even after my sale (my storage shares his clothes closet (that may have to change lol) I just told him that I rearranged by color etc and not all the bins were full!!!
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:21 AM

Next time you go to the Golf store. Tell him you are going to see how much time he spends here. Go and have fun and let him snoop, play anch check everything out. Ohhhhhh by the way each minute you spend here I get to spend at the fabric store. I did this with the electronics store and it works great. Another idea that has worked for us is I drop him off or he drops me off and goes to the electronics store for a couple of hours and I am at my favorite quilt store for the same time.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i am so saddened by people who feel the need to hide their purchases- regardless if it's fabric or anything else. i guess i have been lucky to have a good open relationship with my husband and would never think of buying something i felt i needed to hide--except of course- gifts---
    i find it very distressing to read of people who have to be sneaky in their own homes
    I agree 100%. I don't get it - if you are married to this person and you feel the need to 'hide' your purchases, then I believe you are wrong for having bought it in the first place and chances are you cannot afford it or need it and that is why you hide it. I also do not understand throwing it back in your mates face.
    Please, I am not condemning you at all, I just don't get it and cannot understand folks who do it.
    What are we teaching our children and grandchildren???
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:27 AM

Oops - Didn't know other people did that.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:28 AM

A friend that used to own a QS said that the she should have had her shopping bags imprinted with the words "Grocery Store" for those who needed to sneak fabric into the house.
    Old 08-04-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    are you spending your money or his? If yours, why are you hiding what you buy? The 1950's ended a long time ago, lol...
    I thought is was "OUR MONEY". Am I wrong? It's worked for my DH and I for 28 years?