Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hmm, maybe a new direction? >
  • Hmm, maybe a new direction?

• Hmm, maybe a new direction?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I still think HST is an inaccurate descrption.
    I heard someone refering to HST as being just half of what we think of as a HST. And that is much more accurate. So the square is made up of two HSTs.
    The squares were cut in half on the diagonal, making a right angle triangle that is half of the square. Makes a lot more sense, but I'll bet it won't catch on. That would be almost like changing the qwerty keyboard. Ain't gonna happen!
    Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    In reality, a triangle square is the result of joining two half square triangles (hst's) and is defined as such in all of my older basic quilting books. It's a much more accurate term for what most people now refer to as HST's.

It's not a new term at all and is frequently used in class instruction and personal conversations. If most of your quilting 'connections' are visual instead of verbal, it's understandable that you may not have run across it before this. I suspect 'HST' became an acceptable, though inaccurate, substitute as a result of message boards and blogs simply because it's much faster to type than 'triangle squares'.
    Yes, I have not run across that term in either conversation or classroom to my recollection. Although I have been quilting for more than twenty years so I cannot say for sure, but it never struck me before. I will have to dig into some old vintage mags and see how HST are referred to. I like calling them HST because in my mind it presents the pic of two triangles forming a square and one can only do that with two identical right angled triangles ( I think anyway ). Just as a QST - quarter square triangle means 4(quarter) triangles=square. But it is also interesting how terms have and will continue to evolve. And actually this term of triangle square could refer to any square made up of triangles....it should then be called right triangle square, which is then the completely and correctly defining term for that square, and that is what ghost rider says was the original description of it.......

Last edited by Geri B; 03-24-2014 at 05:54 AM.
    Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    In reality, a triangle square is the result of joining two half square triangles (hst's) and is defined as such in all of my older basic quilting books. It's a much more accurate term for what most people now refer to as HST's.

It's not a new term at all and is frequently used in class instruction and personal conversations. If most of your quilting 'connections' are visual instead of verbal, it's understandable that you may not have run across it before this. I suspect 'HST' became an acceptable, though inaccurate, substitute as a result of message boards and blogs simply because it's much faster to type than 'triangle squares'.
    Couldn't have said it any better. I too picked up those two issues. I always look for good bone structure in making simple quilts for charity.
    Old 03-24-2014, 07:31 AM

I think the term HST came from dropping off the square part at the end. It's technically not a correct term, but most people know what it means. HSTS(quare) almost sounds redundant. And if it were called a 45 degree triangle square, some non-math heads might explode. soooo.
    Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK
    I love love love Jenny Doan's (MSQC) new "Block" magazine. You might want to check it out. It is more like a book than a magazine, and has NO ads whatsoever!
    A magazine with NO ads! Wow! I'll have to check it out.