Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • hmong quilting >
  • hmong quilting

• hmong quilting

Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM

I found two pillow covers like this:

I didn't know what they were when I found them at a thrift store over the summer, but I knew that someone had done meticulous work on them. I posted here and found out they were hmong quilting.
    The pink squares in the center are approx. 1/2". The pillow covers are about 14" square. They are like a pillow case with a zipper on the back.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-278461.jpe   attachment-278462.jpe  
    Old 10-28-2011, 04:24 PM

they are lovely. My piece is a treasured and framed with all the info I found on the Hmong people and their struggle.

STHao thank you for your story, I appreciate it.
    Old 10-28-2011, 04:57 PM

Ohhh I have a block like this I will dig it out and post a pic
    Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Hmong Cultural Center
    Website of the Hmong Cultural Center in Saint Paul MN
    www.hmongcc.org

You are right. A large proportion of Hmong people live in St Paul, especially surprising given the climate difference. The website above is for the Hmong cultural center; they can probably provide you some assistance.
    Old 10-28-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SThao
    Hi, I'm am a first generation Hmong American. I remember when I was younger my mother and I cross-stitch daily to create our traditional clothes, which included such patterns as the one you have.

This work is very intricate and hold strong meaning behind them. Depending on the style of the stitching and colors incorporated each one describes what clan you were from.

Moreover, there are certain quilts that depicts stories (either folk tales or true life experiences) of the Hmong people and their struggles before and after the War and how the Hmong were, and still are today, persecuted for assisting the Americans in this War.

These quilts are very precious to my people, the Hmong, and I am very happy to see that you all have come to appreciate the great artistic work as much as we do.
    Thank you for the information. Sadly enough, I had never heard of the Hmong people, until I watched the Clint Eastwood movie that came out a few years ago. We watched the extras and learned so much. I absolutely love the story quilts, they are truly fascinatingly, beautiful! As well as the clothing!!!!! Oh my!
    Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 PM
    QKO

We lived for about 4 years in downtown St. Paul across the street from the Farmers Market. During market days, the Hmong people would sell farm goods from their community gardens, and they would also sell story quilts. We've had one framed and hanging in our bedroom since we lived there in the early 1990's. It's one of our favorite pieces.

It's very beautiful and depicts the story of the Hmong refugees escaping from the persecutions in their home country.

Everything on the center panel is all hand-embroidered and must have taken many many hours to do. The picture doesn't do it justice, and I had to use a flash as it's dark now, but you get the idea.

[img]http://www.sierranevadaquilters.com/pics/hmongquilt.jpg[/img]
    Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Wow...
    Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 PM

SThao- Welcome! I first saw Hmong handwork at quilt shows in the early 80's in New York. Several years ago when in Lancaster I learned of the "locally made quilts" that were actually made by immigrant Hmong artisans that were being sponsored by some Amish families, and have read more about this online. It is shameful that they do not receive recognition for their work. I see Hmong vendors at quilt shows every year, and marvel at the tiny stitches and precision work. It is beautiful.
    Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Don't feel too bad, a lot of people have not heard of us yet, and having you all appreciate the quilting is great! It allows for us to get to understand a certain group of people that we have no idea about. Quilts are bringing us together!! =D

By the way, the Grand Torino movie wasn't a good depiction of the Hmong people, but then again it's a "movie".
    Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 PM

I will upload soon a picture of the baby-carrier quilt that my mother made for me when I had my son. =D